Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FAY2020
Resolver I
Resolver I

Scheduled Refresh now under Optimize Performance

Scheduled Refresh heading in dataset settings has disappeared for a report. After searching unsuccessfully, I found it under Optimize Performance. Is this a bug or intentional?

FAY2020_0-1630584396896.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @FAY2020 

When the workspace is premium per user / premium per capacity, and the data connection mode is DQ, "Optimize performance" will appear. And optimize preformance is equivalent to schedule refresh. It's not a bug.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
IsabelleCL
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for this post! For me the scheduled refresh only moved under "Optimize Performance" for my datasets with composite models (storage mode mixed with some imported tables, and one direct query connecting to a Power BI dataset). For all my other datasets with only imported tables, I still have the "Scheduled Refresh" section. This was driving me crazy, as I thought the scheduled refresh option was no longer available for datasets with composite models. Unfortunately I did not think of looking under the other sections, and have spent the past hour googling. I agree, terrible UX. Thanks again!

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @FAY2020 

Do you still have this interface now? What type of your data source is? I don’t see an exception here.

You can check this document: Configure automatic aggregations - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

I see - so this interface is specific to automatic aggregations.

It is still missig for me - see screenshot:

FAY2020_0-1632137109303.png

Hi, @FAY2020 

When the workspace is premium per user / premium per capacity, and the data connection mode is DQ, "Optimize performance" will appear. And optimize preformance is equivalent to schedule refresh. It's not a bug.

Best Regards,

@v-janeyg-msft 

So the refresh schedule configured under Optimize Performance will refresh my import sources? It's not just for automatic aggregations?

This seems an unnecessary change - I can't find this documented anywhere. Why not just leave scheduled refresh where it is? It may not be a bug but it sure as hell is bad UX.

@FAY2020  

In your initial screenshot, isn’t there a schedule refresh under Optimize Performance? It’s just that a new feature, automatic aggregations, has been added to premium capacity, so the name has changed, and schedule refresh is placed in Optimize Performance. Can't you use it ? ? ? 

vjaneygmsft_0-1632448037087.png

Reference:

Automatic aggregations overview - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Configure automatic aggregations - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

You've missed my point and haven't answered my question:

"So the refresh schedule configured under Optimize Performance will refresh my import sources? It's not just for automatic aggregations?"

I'm not trying to be rude but the links you've provided are for Automatic Aggregations which is for Direct Query sources. I have import sources in my model, so the documentation isn't clear on refreshing them. I have mixed model datasets in non-premium workspaces which still have Scheduled Refresh available, so from a UX perspective this change is confusing.

I couldn't find anything while search but now this post is top of the Google results, so hopefully is anyone else has this issue they can see this. Thanks for your help.

@FAY2020 

vjaneygmsft_0-1632706330176.png

If you doubt, you can check it after you modify the data and refresh. Refresh and automatic aggregates don't affect each other. They are different features, just under the same category.

Best Regards,

Thanks, I've verified that this does work. Still think it's awful UX though. Have a good day!

ponnusamy
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Interesting. It could be a temporary bug and probably due updates deployed by MSFT. Mine (US East) shows up correctly 

ponnusamy_0-1630585335767.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors