Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MattMcMillin_71
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled Refresh failure in Power BI service

Hi, I am looking for some guidance please:

I have dashboard reports uploaded to the service (Power BI web portal in a specific workspace),  but have got the following error appearing when I have them set up for a scheduled refresh.
I have received the following error message this morning:

"Report xxxx has failed to refresh.
Failure details: The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support.

Cannot open server 'xxxx-bi' requested by the login. Client with IP address '20.41.5.1' is not allowed to access the server.
To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range. It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect.
"

My connection to the data source is fine, and  the service says I don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud - would this be correct?

Any tips on how any of you successfully set up the scheduled refresh? Is this a firewall issue?
My Dev OPs guys arent overly familiar with Power BI, and have asked If there  is any documentation that explicitly states what the IP addresses used by PowerBI are? In which case I assume they could add the  range(s) to the management portal
Note: I have these scheduled refresh failures for my reports  where they all are in IP addresses starting with 20.41.4. or 20.41.5

Thanks in advance!
M
1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @MattMcMillin_71 ,

I think that the issue is right here:  Client with IP address '20.41.5.1' is not allowed to access the server.

That does seem like a firewall/network/port type of issue.  This list should help out your IT folks: Add Power BI URLs to allowlist - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors