Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dtrovato
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled Refresh against data source updates

Hi y'all!

I'm looking for a document that explains what happens with the following scenario:

- power bi service, with a scheduled refresh every t1-time, connected to an azure data source 

- that data source is updated with a t2-random time 

if t1 = t2, what happens to the reports in the service?

does it throw an error or show the "old" report? 

in case of an error...how to handle it? 

6 REPLIES 6

@dtrovato Are you suggesting that the data table in the database is being updated, and there could be a conflict when the Dataset in Power BI refreshes and when the table refreshes?

Depending on your access methods and what is happening in the datasource. It could lock and force a wait, which may time out. You could dirty read from the source, if the data source refreshed quickly it could return after the fact as a call would be in process... a number of things could happen.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

hi @Seth_C_Bauer, yes that's what I'm suggesting and I agree on that a number of things can happen. Just wondered if there was any doc.

Anyway, what do you mean with "dirty read from the source"? Still using Power BI?

@dtrovato If your queries include "with(nolock)" they will perform dirty reads on the data. This means that the query will run and return data despite any locks being held on the table. The "dirty" means that if there is a process writing against the table as you query it, you may get the "old" data. In many cases this is ok, in others it wouldn't be. Depends largely on what you are reporting on.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Just a note with the dirty reads is that they still place a schema lock on the table. So if there is a dirty read happening and for example an Index rebuild is trying to start, it cannot start until the dirty read completes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @dtrovato,

I would think in this case it migt be a better option to setup a more confident schedule. This would prevent these errors if any from occurring.

hi @Anonymous , that's exactly what I had in mind, but in case of a random time you never know what the best settings are. Thanks for your suggestion though

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors