cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Scheduled Refresh Succeeds but Data Won't Update

Cheers for the response @mhsk ,

I have tested that many times, even making fresh BI reports from scratch to rule out if there's any conflict with the original.

Same issue occurs.

I'm using chrome, and a colleague is using firefox, same issue on both browsers. Data source is a share point list.

In the browser I check the report, confirm successful scheduled refreshes took place overnight.

However while the sched refreshes were successful, the data has not been updated in the report.

Refreshing the browser window or manually refreshing the report in the dashboard makes no difference..

So after this, I check the same report in the desktop application and manually refresh it, this runs and updates the report as expected with the data from the SP list.

I go back to the dashboard again (in chrome) and click refresh, in the report and not the browser.., and it updates the data 😕 

I didn't publish the report at any point during this test.

It's my understanding that the scheduled refresh should run the same refresh as the desktop application refresh button does, thereby eliminating the need to manually refresh the report from the dashboard at any point.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Any feedback is very welcome.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Morning,

I've been pursuing this with the MS support team since it first became an issue for me in April and after numerous email exchanges and screensharing sessions, they don't appear to be any closer to providing a solution.

They believe that the problem is related to the data connectivity mode and specifically an issue with datasets suppossedly configured as DirectQuery remaining as an Import model behind the scenes.

I'd like to be able to provide more input but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the entire affair and the most recent telephone calls with the MS off-shore team have been incredibly discouraging.

I'll update this stream if there is further progress.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update on that @ims20180411kjb , really appreciate it.

I can fully understand your frustration, and I guess I can empathize to some extent with the MS devs, it might not be a simple fix. An official update from them however would be something at least, to let users know that their frustrations are not going unheard..

I look forward to your (hopefully positive) future updates, will stay tuned.

Thanks again 🙂

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

In my case, the server runnning the gateway stuff crashed.  I had to re-set iup the gateway stuff on a different box and it's been working as it should since then.  I don't trust it won't break again, but so far so good...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

i have the same issue. Scheduled refresh takes place successfully at 7 am. At 9 am the report still shows the values for the previous day after manual report refresh.

After manual refresh of the data set and the report the report shows the correct data. 

I use a SQL server backend and a data gateway. 

Is there anything to look out for in the data gateway logs?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Did you find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue and can't figure out why it is happening when I refresh manually it works fine.

Thanks,

Askal

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Since having to set up the gateway on a new machine, it's been working OK for a month now.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

created a new topic as solution provided in this thread doesn't work. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Scheduled-Refresh-Succeeds-but-Data-Won-t-Update-manual-ref...

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi everyone, I thought I'd weigh in on a solution I found to a similar issue.

Our underlying data sources was primarily a DataFlow, however we also did have a few other alternative sources such as Excel spreadsheets that we accessed. Similarly, we were able to refresh the report manually via the PowerBI Desktop. Our DataFlow would successfully refresh when it was scheduled via the Web Service, however the report itself would not update.

The solution we found was that both the DataFlow and the DataSet need to be refreshed. Refreshing only one of these meant that the underlying data would not be completely updated, therefore preventing the report from being updated. We then made sure to schedule a refresh for both data sources which successfully resolved the issue. An important note is that you should stagger the scheduling as the Web Service can take 5 to 10 minutes to completely refresh the data source (or longer, dependent on how much data you have. For example, we scheduled the DataFlow to refresh at 8:00am and the DataSet to refresh at 8:30am, so that the report will be updated by 9:00am every morning.

Also, make sure that your gateways are correctly setup.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How exactly does one schedule a refresh for data flow?

I know how to configure scheduling the data set refrsh but where is the data flow refresh?

I'm also still having issues, planned refresh seems to be working but I don't see new data until I first manually refresh the dataset and after that refresh the data on the report. Very annoying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Who are our Super User Superstars? Who made it to the top of the leaderboards? Get the answers!

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Be a part of the leading Microsoft Business Applications digital event, curated for the APAC community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors