Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

spinachbisque

Scheduled Refresh Succeeds but Data Won't Update

I have built a Power BI report that queries data from a SQL Server database at my organization. I've uploaded the report to Power BI online and set up a scheduled refresh with the help of our IT staff. Everything is showing as "green" and I get confirmation that the data refresh succeeds each time it's set to occur. There is no error message or other notification that the refresh failed. HOWEVER, the actual data in the report does not update to reflect the most current data in our SQL Server database. 

When I go into Power BI Desktop and hit the "Refresh" button on the report manually, the data DOES update and show correctly based on the current data in the SQL Server databse. 

Is there a way to fix this issue so that the scheduled refresh in Power BI will actually update based on the most current data in our database? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@spinachbisque How quickly are you checking the report after the dataset has said it has refreshed? The Dataset, Report and dashboard are seperate objects and are not all immediately refreshed after the dataset. It is in order. If the dataset refreshes, it is likely it will be 10-15 before the report, and then the Dashboard. You can also initiate a refresh in the report after the dataset.

If you know, and or tried the above, then this sounds like a bug or issue that you should raise in a support ticket or the issues page.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
aanderson1
Regular Visitor

I'm going to add an additional potential scenario to this.

I had been on leave from work for the last few weeks and the dataset for my dashboard would NOT refresh. The automated refresh cycle ran without a failure the entire time, but the data itself was not updating. There are two datasets, both are CSV files. One CSV is a calendar for fiscal year date conversions among other things that remains the same, no worries there. The other is a dataset that updates daily that many users look to daily and are in need of accurately reported updates. Refreshing in the desktop version worked, but the dataset just would not update online at all.

That particular dataset is obtained daily through a Power Automate flow that results in a CSV being saved to One Drive. In going on leave, my employer's security department places a temporary password on everything and my data connections are Windows login based (currently awaiting a generic account to be created to provide for a continuous/uninterrupted solution during leaves or if I were to leave the company, etc.). In an effort to prevent downtime since my credentials would not be the same during my leave, I added another analyst who had taken over the datasets with their gateways.

Kinda sidetracking there, but upon my return, I took the datasets back over, reestablishing my gateways and connections with my new credentials. Upon checking the datasets, the daily refreshed file was "stuck" based on data of my last day of work prior to leave. I searched high and low for a solution to this and convinced myself that the connection was looking at the One Drive connection of my old credentials prior to my leave and adjusting the credentials did not resolve the issue whatsoever. Even establishing a new connection did not do the trick.

However, I watched this video here from Guy in a Cube, and this resolved my issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSMZxaXNLk

The CSV file I was using had a C: drive directory based on my One Drive connection. I went directly to One Drive, selected View Online, then opened the CSV file, went into the Info menu, copied the file path and replaced FileContents with WebContents and the associated file path. I then refreshed the desktop version, published it to the web and confirmed that the data is now showing the updated/correct information.

ruiz07s
Regular Visitor

Did anyone get an update on this issue? I ran a search as I think I'm experiencing the same thing.

The most notable thing I noticed is I relegated my ETL on one of my key fact tables to Data Flows. The DF updates successfully in PBI Service but doesn't show up in the corresponding Dataset, even if I do an on-demand refresh. The weird thing is, when I manually refresh the DF within Power BI Desktop, it does indeed show the updated data. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with:

• The Dataflow is pulling data from SQL Server with a Gateway (note I don't get any errors, the data pull is successful as confirmed with a manual refresh in PBI Desktop)
  • The dashboard is pulling data from multiple DFs (10+) with different intervals set for auto-refresh

I've used DFs for a long time and this is the first time I've encountered this issue. It's a weird one and if it's indeed a bug, it's a big flaw...

Did you ever find a resolution for this? Working on Premium capacity and running into same issue. A dataset has several dataflows as source data, as well as a SharePoint list. The Dataflows all are refreshing successfully in the online service and data can be queried successfully. The dataset and report fully load data in the PBI Desktop app. When publishing to Online service, the data only refreshes up to a certain date, and will not load any data beyond that date. Manual and scheduled refresh show as successful, but the data will not populate in the online service dataset, even though it is a successful refresh and data is available in Dataflow

serdag

I have same issue, I have two connection that the one is dataflow, the other is dataset. I scheduled both at 8:30 am, however while dataset updated correctly, dataflow not updated. As if it seems like updated but indeed not updated exactly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I faced the same issue, republishing the PBIX to the Service worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly after a month, today, I again encountered the same issue and again had to republish the PBIX to service to get the up-to-date data

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm facing with same issue.

Datasource is sharepoint.
Schedule Refreshes look like worked but data set didn't updated...
2.5 years passed and still no acceptable solution...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Did anyone have a solution to this issue? Because I had the similar issue too - scheduled refresh was complete but data was not updated completely. 

I had to trigger the "refresh now" manually on my dataflow in powerbi service and data was updated..   

Not sure why this is happening, it works fine sometimes, but now this problem kept occurring after rescheduled data refresh in the morning.. 

Hi @Anonymous ,  I'll copy in my solution I posted earlier that worked for my team. 

Hi everyone, I thought I'd weigh in on a solution I found to a similar issue. Our underlying data sources was primarily a DataFlow, however we also did have a few other alternative sources such as Excel spreadsheets that we accessed. Similarly, we were able to refresh the report manually via the PowerBI Desktop. Our DataFlow would successfully refresh when it was scheduled via the Web Service, however the report itself would not update.

The solution we found was that both the DataFlow and the DataSet need to be refreshed in Power BI Web. Refreshing only one of these meant that the underlying data would not be completely updated, therefore preventing the report from being updated. We then made sure to schedule a refresh for both data sources which successfully resolved the issue. An important note is that you should stagger the scheduling as the Web Service can take 5 to 10 minutes to completely refresh the data source (or longer, dependent on how much data you have. For example, we scheduled the DataFlow to refresh at 8:00am and the DataSet to refresh at 8:30am, so that the report will be updated by 9:00am every morning.

Also, make sure that your gateways are correctly setup.

Thank You Glorfendal, 
You solved why my Power BI Reports were not getting updated with refreshed data. 
I was missing the fact that the DataFlow needed to be refreshed before the DataSet. i.e. As a paired set. 
Many thanks. 
SteveB

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glorfendal  thanks for sharing your solution. 

Currently, my dataset and dataflow scheduled data refresh is staggered, so this is not the root cause. 

After my dataflow had a completed scheduled data refresh,  I realized the data was only updated to a certain date rather than to the latest available data when I connected the dataflow in power bi desktop. 

However, if I triggered the "refresh now" button on powerbi service, the dataflow is updated to the latest date.

Glorfendal
Regular Visitor

Hi everyone, I thought I'd weigh in on a solution I found to a similar issue.

Our underlying data sources was primarily a DataFlow, however we also did have a few other alternative sources such as Excel spreadsheets that we accessed. Similarly, we were able to refresh the report manually via the PowerBI Desktop. Our DataFlow would successfully refresh when it was scheduled via the Web Service, however the report itself would not update.

The solution we found was that both the DataFlow and the DataSet need to be refreshed. Refreshing only one of these meant that the underlying data would not be completely updated, therefore preventing the report from being updated. We then made sure to schedule a refresh for both data sources which successfully resolved the issue. An important note is that you should stagger the scheduling as the Web Service can take 5 to 10 minutes to completely refresh the data source (or longer, dependent on how much data you have. For example, we scheduled the DataFlow to refresh at 8:00am and the DataSet to refresh at 8:30am, so that the report will be updated by 9:00am every morning.

Also, make sure that your gateways are correctly setup.

How exactly does one schedule a refresh for data flow?

I know how to configure scheduling the data set refrsh but where is the data flow refresh?

I'm also still having issues, planned refresh seems to be working but I don't see new data until I first manually refresh the dataset and after that refresh the data on the report. Very annoying.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue and can't figure out why it is happening when I refresh manually it works fine.

Thanks,

Askal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since having to set up the gateway on a new machine, it's been working OK for a month now.

bentz
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

i have the same issue. Scheduled refresh takes place successfully at 7 am. At 9 am the report still shows the values for the previous day after manual report refresh.

After manual refresh of the data set and the report the report shows the correct data. 

I use a SQL server backend and a data gateway. 

Is there anything to look out for in the data gateway logs?

Thanks.

bentz
Frequent Visitor

created a new topic as solution provided in this thread doesn't work. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Scheduled-Refresh-Succeeds-but-Data-Won-t-Update-manual-ref...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having exactly this issue with a share point list rather than a mysql db.

I'm curious as to why there's a 'Solved, Go to solution' on this as there's no solution that I can see in this thread.

There are also multiple threads on this exact issue (as far abck as 2016) with no solutions..

There's a reply in here saying one has to close browser tabs, re-open and then manually click refresh.. This is not a solution either, what's the point of scheduling the refresh if you have to manually click a button!!!!

If anyone actually has a reliable solution for this please update the thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

hi try to del and reupload the pbix file to workspace (get data), it worked for me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers for the response @mhsk ,

I have tested that many times, even making fresh BI reports from scratch to rule out if there's any conflict with the original.

Same issue occurs.

I'm using chrome, and a colleague is using firefox, same issue on both browsers. Data source is a share point list.

In the browser I check the report, confirm successful scheduled refreshes took place overnight.

However while the sched refreshes were successful, the data has not been updated in the report.

Refreshing the browser window or manually refreshing the report in the dashboard makes no difference..

So after this, I check the same report in the desktop application and manually refresh it, this runs and updates the report as expected with the data from the SP list.

I go back to the dashboard again (in chrome) and click refresh, in the report and not the browser.., and it updates the data 😕 

I didn't publish the report at any point during this test.

It's my understanding that the scheduled refresh should run the same refresh as the desktop application refresh button does, thereby eliminating the need to manually refresh the report from the dashboard at any point.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Any feedback is very welcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors