cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled Refresh Succeeds but Data Won't Update; manual refresh working

Hi,

i have published a report to the service and set up a scheduled refresh. The report gets its data from SQL Server database. The dataset can refresh using the Data Gateway. 

The scheduled refresh completes without any error.  Scheduled and on demand refreshes are status 'completed'.

Unfortunately, the report only shows new data once I refresh the dataset manually by clicking 'Refresh now'.

I have set up a new data gateway with no success. 

The problem is handled in the following link but as the solution does not work for many people, I have created a new thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Scheduled-Refresh-Succeeds-but-Data-Won-t-Update/m-p/531699

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Scheduled Refresh Succeeds but Data Won't Update; manual refresh working

hi, @bentz 

I have tested on my side, it works well. Could you try to  browser cache and try it again.

If you could delete the dataset in power bi service and republish it again, and if you could update the gateway to the latest version.

If you still have this problem for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help. then share the result with us.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

thanks for your response. The issue is not browser related. We have tried different browsers and machines.

Two things we have worked out: 

1. It's the first refresh of the day that didn't work. The second works (no matter if manual or scheduled), so the subject of this thread is not accurate anymore.

2.  I have created copies of the report and in each copy I have removed on of the SQL tables in use. One joined table seems to cause the problems. Once this has been removed from the report, it refreshes (on the first refresh of the day).

So, still no idea what the problem is really, but I found some workarounds. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Still having this issue, tried several things but didn't work unfortunately..

(delete report and publish again, change the refreshing time)

Manual refresh is the workaround.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone!

I noticed that in my setup the report showed up-to-date data on Mondays, as there was no new data on weekends. So I worked out that it worked whenever there were more than one refresh.

After adding a second refresh every morning it worked for me for every report. So I added e.g. one refresh at 1 AM and one at 1.30 AM. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Be a part of the leading Microsoft Business Applications digital event, curated for the APAC community.

Top Kudoed Authors