Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bentz
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled Refresh Succeeds but Data Won't Update; manual refresh working

Hi,

i have published a report to the service and set up a scheduled refresh. The report gets its data from SQL Server database. The dataset can refresh using the Data Gateway. 

The scheduled refresh completes without any error.  Scheduled and on demand refreshes are status 'completed'.

Unfortunately, the report only shows new data once I refresh the dataset manually by clicking 'Refresh now'.

I have set up a new data gateway with no success. 

The problem is handled in the following link but as the solution does not work for many people, I have created a new thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Scheduled-Refresh-Succeeds-but-Data-Won-t-Update/m-p/531699

8 REPLIES 8
Vipin_0209
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I'm also facing the same issue in my scheduled refresh dataset refreshed successfully but the reports does not get updated.

And when i manually refreshed(Refresh Now) its got updated.BI refresh.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

aEven I have the same issue, it is not reflecting in service while on desktop this looks fine, is it related to something Incremental Refresh.

Have you managed to find a solution? I too am facing a similar issue - scheduled refresh doesn't work (even though reflects successful completion) but manual refresh updates the data.

bentz
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone!

I noticed that in my setup the report showed up-to-date data on Mondays, as there was no new data on weekends. So I worked out that it worked whenever there were more than one refresh.

After adding a second refresh every morning it worked for me for every report. So I added e.g. one refresh at 1 AM and one at 1.30 AM. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Still having this issue, tried several things but didn't work unfortunately..

(delete report and publish again, change the refreshing time)

Manual refresh is the workaround.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @bentz 

I have tested on my side, it works well. Could you try to  browser cache and try it again.

If you could delete the dataset in power bi service and republish it again, and if you could update the gateway to the latest version.

If you still have this problem for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help. then share the result with us.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

thanks for your response. The issue is not browser related. We have tried different browsers and machines.

Two things we have worked out: 

1. It's the first refresh of the day that didn't work. The second works (no matter if manual or scheduled), so the subject of this thread is not accurate anymore.

2.  I have created copies of the report and in each copy I have removed on of the SQL tables in use. One joined table seems to cause the problems. Once this has been removed from the report, it refreshes (on the first refresh of the day).

So, still no idea what the problem is really, but I found some workarounds. 

I just installed the gateway today so I'm quite new to the whole data refresh thing.

I had the same issue and just wasted a few hours of unnecessary work.

Just to make sure you're not as "stupid" as I am.

I just realized that I have to hit this little "refresh" button and the visuals will actually be updated. My data will show correct then. If I don't do it, it doesn't.

Hope this helps at least someone 🙂

BI6.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors