Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gopa
Advocate II
Advocate II

Scheduled Refresh Error - An Unexpected Exception occured

Hi

I have a dataset which has 4 scheduled refreshes in a day. It has been working fine for many months now. From Yesterday night (Aug 31, 23:30 IST) refresh, it is throwing up en error. The Screen shot of the error from today morning is attached herewith. When the refresh error occured the first time at 23:30, I refreshed the desktop version without any errors and re-published to power BI service. But then the subsequent scheduled refreshes again throws up the same error. I cannot understand the issue, more so, as the manual refresh from Power BI desktop works fine. 

Data refresh error in Power BI service.png

Regards

Gopa Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Seth_C_BauerJust to update this issue. Finally, the issue was identified as a bug by the product team. The bug was rectified in the November Dektop update and also in the service. The issue has been resolved. 

Note: The issue was not what was reported earlier regarding the oneDrive cloud. It was a new bug in the internal calculation. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@Gopa There should be a more specific error if you look into the settings on the dataset. If not, go check the gateway logs to see a more specific error.

Go to the computer that has the gateway installed and search for the log file in this location:

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\Gateway*.log

The easiest way to find what you are looking for is either by searching for a datasource in the report or the time of failure.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauerthe dataset does not use the Gateway. It is a connection from OneDrive of Excel files. The issue is that when I refresh the same dataset in Power BI desktop, it refreshes properly, so I am unable to get any further info on the error. And moreover, the schedule refresh in power BI service had been working perfectly for many months now. 

@Gopa Ok. If there are no additional pointers on the dataset, then I would validate that there was no change to the files, or an invalid value in a column. I would run back through each aspect of the PQ connection / transformation to ensure it still works appropriately. If you search the specific error, there are a myriad of different cases where something like this occurs because something in the underlying data or structure changed.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_BauerI have refreshed individually all the queries in power query with no issues. The Power BI Desktop refreshes without any issue. The issue comes in the scheduled refresh from power BI service. 

I have another dataset which also throws up error. This also is a direct connection to OneDrive excel file and this also started day before. Till then it was working fine. In this case the message is:

'Message: The command has been canceled. Table: 2 GL Line item table.'
But in desktop again this table does not give any errors when refreshed in PQ. And again, in a subsequent schedule refresh in power BI service, the message will give a different table name. 

I am at a loss as to how to solve this issue.

@Gopa What I am suggesting is that based on other issues I've read this situation can occur where the Desktop handles processing an "error", while the refresh process (Gateway- whether you have to set it up or not) fails. Hard to find, but there are enough use cases I've read that I wouldn't rule out a data/datatype issue.

@Seth_C_BauerThank your for your suggestions. I am not able to solve this as I am unable to pinpoint the issue. In both the cases the structure of the excel files had not changed and in fact in the 2nd case, even the data had not changed since the last successful scheduled refresh.

I have raised a support ticket with Microsoft on this issue. They are looking into it. They have asked for some details, which I had provided. Let us see what comes out of it. In any case, I shall update this thread once they finish with their analysis.

@Seth_C_Bauerjust an update to this issue...had a support call with Microsoft today. It seems the issue is with reports having custom visuals and dataset in OneDrive cloud. The issue might get resolved by Sep 12th Update.

The issue and the workaround as reported at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

issue.png

@Seth_C_BauerJust to update this issue. Finally, the issue was identified as a bug by the product team. The bug was rectified in the November Dektop update and also in the service. The issue has been resolved. 

Note: The issue was not what was reported earlier regarding the oneDrive cloud. It was a new bug in the internal calculation. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors