Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Claire4Green
Frequent Visitor

Schedule refresh of Python script in Power BI Service

Good Afternoon

I would like to set up a scheduled refresh of a Python script in the Power BI Service but I am experiencing some issues. The script that I have written logs in to a website (using credentials saved in another .py file) and downloads a file. I have installed the latest version of the personal gateway on my computer and can confirm that this is where python is installed and where the script/Power BI Desktop files are stored. I have also checked that the privacy setting of the data source is set to public.

When I try to set up a scheduled refresh in the Service it says that my credentials are invalid. When I click on 'edit credentials' I only get presented with the authentication method = WindowsWithoutImpersonation which I haven't come across before. If I try to sign in using this method, I get the following error message:

"Failed to update data source credentials: ADO.NET: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider"

The Python script runs and refreshes fine in the Power BI Desktop file but I am wondering whether the embedded credentials are causing an issue in the Service. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Claire

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Claire4Green 

I found it has been added as a known issue:

Power BI customers using Python or R visuals together with May release of the Power BI Personal Gateway may see the following error message when trying to refresh: “ADO.NET: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider”. As a workaround users may revert to the April release of the Power BI Personal Gateway. Engineers are working on a fix and expect it to be deployed by end-of-day 06/06/2020.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Claire4Green 

I found it has been added as a known issue:

Power BI customers using Python or R visuals together with May release of the Power BI Personal Gateway may see the following error message when trying to refresh: “ADO.NET: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider”. As a workaround users may revert to the April release of the Power BI Personal Gateway. Engineers are working on a fix and expect it to be deployed by end-of-day 06/06/2020.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@v-diye-msft thanks for letting me know. I have now downloaded the April version of the personal gateway and have been able to successfully schedule a refresh via the service. Thanks for your help!

June version of Power BI Gateway (personal mode) has been released. This version resolves the ADO.NET issue for Python datasource.

I've downloaded and it connects with no issues.

Thanks for letting me know @onbi I will download the June version of the personal gateway then.

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Claire4Green 

The python script is supported on the personal gateway, kindly refer to the troubleshooting document for more hints:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-admin-troubleshooting-power-bi-person... 

Further more, It might be related to the .NET Framework. Please re-installed .NET framework and restarted the server for a test.

Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider

and here is a simiar post for you as a reference.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-Unable-to-find-the-requested-Net-Framework-Data-Provi... 

quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft thanks for your suggestions. I have unistalled and reinstalled .NET Framework and now have version 4.8 but unfortunately this hasn't resolved my credentials issue. When I go to edit my credentials, the only authentication it presents me with is WindowsWithoutImpersonation and the error is still "Failed to update data source credentials: ADO.NET: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider". Do you know what else might be causing the issue? Thanks!

Is your gateway the latest version? Probably quick check if your gateway machine run out of disk/memory?

Hi @lisahua46 yes it should be the latest version of the gateway as I only downloaded it last week. How would I check whether my gateway has run out of memory? Thanks!

I would like to piggyback with Claire4Green on this issue as I'm facing the same. I just downloaded Personal Gateway, installed Python, Pandas, Matplotlib libraries and am trying to schedule the refresh. It's giving me the same error as well.

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Claire4Green 

Try to configure the gateway as default mode, not personal mode. And see how it is working

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

@nandukrishnavs thank you but how do I set the gateway to default? There aren't any options against my personal gateway.

@Claire4Green 

Download the gateway setup file and install it, it will provide two options.

• On-premises data gateway 
  • On-premises data gateway (personal mode)

Choose 1st one.

Follow the steps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install#download-and-insta...

Then you can add your data source in the gateway cluster.

follow this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-manage

Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Good Morning @nandukrishnavs I understand from the Microsoft documentation that in order to set up a scheduled refresh you have to have a personal gateway installed. If I install the on-premises data gateway as opposed to the on-premises data gateway (personal mode), is this still a personal gateway? Thanks!

@Claire4Green  on-premises data gateway (personal mode) is the personal gateway 

Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Thanks @nandukrishnavs I'll give it a go and get back to you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors