Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmillar
Helper I
Helper I

Schedule refresh for composite models

Hi there;

Trying to schedule a refresh with a composite model for the imported dimensions, but there's no Scheduled Refresh option in the service?  I do have an On Prem gateway connection wired to the dataset successfully.  Any hints?

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yes there is. It is under optimize performance I believe. Some composite models have data that only refreshes in that dataset. Did you go through each of those items in the settings?

Now, if you don't see it, that means your model has nothing to refresh on its own. It will automatically get the data from other datasets. There is nothing to refresh in your model in that case. It is is the source datasets that refresh. Your report will just show the updated data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jmillar 

Edit:

Thanks to @edhans  for pointing out that the scheduled refresh option is under optimized performance.
Thanks again for letting me learn what I missed.

The following is a brief introduction about query caching:

Your dataset resides on a Premium capacity, so you get a new way of refreshing: Query caching.

If your dataset resides on a Premium capacity, you might be able to improve the performance of any associated reports and dashboards by enabling query caching. 

Query caching instructs the Premium capacity to use its local caching service to maintain query results, avoiding having the underlying data source compute those results.

more:

Data refresh in Power BI

Query caching in Power BI Premium/Embedded

Scheduled Cache Refresh and Query Cache

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jmillar 

There is no scheduled refresh option is there? I have never encountered this, can you show a screenshot?
According to my tests, for the composite model, the scheduled refresh option is still visible in the power bi service, as shown below, and you can configure the scheduled refresh after editing the credentials.

vangzhengmsft_0-1633942740480.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there -- to confirm, there is no scheduled refresh option against the dataset driving the composite model.

jmillar_0-1634036373517.png

Thanks,

Jason

yes there is. It is under optimize performance I believe. Some composite models have data that only refreshes in that dataset. Did you go through each of those items in the settings?

Now, if you don't see it, that means your model has nothing to refresh on its own. It will automatically get the data from other datasets. There is nothing to refresh in your model in that case. It is is the source datasets that refresh. Your report will just show the updated data.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks @edhans - it was indeed under Optimize Performance.  No idea why MS chose to change the location, but as long as it's there.  I appreciate the assist!

yeah, I agree @jmillar that having it two different places depending on the model is confusing. Glad you found it and have it working now.

edhans
Super User
Super User

It is in one of the other settings for some reason. Enhanced Compute or something. I forget, but click through the other options in Settings for the dataset and the scheduled refresh will be there. This was a recent change, last 30-60 days.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors