Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S_M
Helper III
Helper III

Schedule Data Refresh Issues - Not PowerBI Pro

Hi, 

I am relatively new to PowerBI and am having trouble with running a refresh / sharing on PowerBI service. I built my model on a PowerBI desktop file using ODBC connectors & GA, imported it to PowerBI - on trying to schedule a data refresh i see the following : 

This dataset contains on-premises data sources. To schedule data refresh, try Power BI Pro for 60 days, or contact your Office 365 tenant administrator to purchase Power BI Pro.

- Can i schedule a refresh only if i am a Power BI Pro user ?

Secondly, if i were to even try refreshing the dataset on the service, it tells me that my gateway is offline - having installed both, the personal and the on premises gateway and having set it up, it still leads me to the same. Could someone please highlight what i am doing wrong ?

Also, if i were to get PowerBI Pro to schedule my refreshes, do my users need to be pro to be able to share these dashboards ? Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@S_M if your file contains on premise data source then you don't need power bi pro. you need pro only if you want to refresh dataset in power bi service that is from on-premise data source. you can do manual workaround of refreshing power bi desktop file manually each time and republishing it but that is not an ideal solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@S_M 

1. yes you can setup schedule refresh to on-premise data source only with power bi pro account. 

2. you need to install either personal or on-premise gateway not both. therefore uninstall all existing gateways download latest gateway and then install 

3. if you share dashboard that contains Pro features (in your case it does since it is on-premise data source with schedule refresh) then your users also need power bi pro account to access that dashboard.

Thanks @ankitpatira

So, essentially if my file consists on on-premise data source, i need for the user to be pro. Is there no other way around it because i dont want to force users to go pro - any case scenario where i could refresh and update a powerbi desktop file locally and have it updated on the service ?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@S_M if your file contains on premise data source then you don't need power bi pro. you need pro only if you want to refresh dataset in power bi service that is from on-premise data source. you can do manual workaround of refreshing power bi desktop file manually each time and republishing it but that is not an ideal solution.

Hi,

I am using Power BI desktop free version (with SQL Server as data source). I have created a dashboard on my local machine and intend to share it with other people over web. Also, I would need a scheduled refresh for the same. I undetstand that for scheduled refresh would need pro version which I am reday to buy.

What I would like to know is once I have the Pro version -

1. can I use the existing dashboard with Pro version?

2. will I be able to use the existing dashboard for scheduled refresh or I have to re-build it all again?

2. all users (who may not have the Pro version) whom I have shared my existing dashboard will be able to access (alteast ready only) it?

@ankitpatira

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors