cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving Bookmarks over reports, Lost personal Bookmarks after replacing report

After some major changes I've decided to re-upload an power BI report from the desktop to the service and upload it by the App.
A few days later I received a message from one of our user that they've lost their personal Bookmarks.

Is there any way to save bookmarks to use them over (new) reports? Otherwise, the only solution to keep them is by updating your reports in stead of replacing this Right??

Anyone have any solution/experience with this?

5 REPLIES 5
rvandint

This issue came up within my organisation as well. Is there any update? We deliver reports via apps. Most of the time develepment is done in Power BI Desktop and published to the serrvice. After a Major update or replacement of the report the bookmark from the end user is gone. Is there a way to avoid this?

sameershaikh
Regular Visitor

Same question here:

Even when I try to re publish the report after adding some new pages/ visuals to the existing report from Desktop to Service, Personal bookmarks are lost and need to re create them once again.

Is there any way to preserve the personal bookmark when we re publish the report from Desktop to Service ?

Thanks 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you republish a report, it will be deleted first and then added to the workspace. So, your app consumers will lose all customizations such as bookmarks, comments, etc.

You need to change your report in Power BI Service and then update the app.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

abristow
Frequent Visitor

@Icey I'm using pipeline deployment from development to test to production. 

Do you know if the file will be considered the "same" if I make changes in PBI Service [Development] and have it pushed thru the pipeline to the end-user app?

Thanks for any insighs you can provide!

Same question here - is there a reliable way to deploy reports through CI/CD without losing personal bookmarks?

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 23 2022 epsiode 5 without aka link.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Welcome to the Power BI Community Show! Jeroen ter Heerdt talks about the importance of Data Modeling.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 with aka link 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors