Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving Bookmarks over reports, Lost personal Bookmarks after replacing report

After some major changes I've decided to re-upload an power BI report from the desktop to the service and upload it by the App.
A few days later I received a message from one of our user that they've lost their personal Bookmarks.

Is there any way to save bookmarks to use them over (new) reports? Otherwise, the only solution to keep them is by updating your reports in stead of replacing this Right??

Anyone have any solution/experience with this?

8 REPLIES 8
abristow
Frequent Visitor

According to MS documentation on bookmarks: 

• Generally, your personal bookmarks will not be affected if the report designer updates or republishes the report. However, if the designer makes major changes to the report, such as removing fields used by a personal bookmark, then you will receive an error message the next time you attempt to open that bookmark.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-bookmarks

No specific reference to how pushing through a pipeline impacts personal bookmarks, unfortunately 

klp97
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, I'm bumping this thread in the hopes of getting an answer to my recent post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Help-Users-lost-personal-bookmarks-report-was-not-changed-o...

Can someone confirm whether republishing an app results in a GUID change and therefore deletes users' personal bookmarks? 

rvandint
Regular Visitor

This issue came up within my organisation as well. Is there any update? We deliver reports via apps. Most of the time develepment is done in Power BI Desktop and published to the serrvice. After a Major update or replacement of the report the bookmark from the end user is gone. Is there a way to avoid this?

sameershaikh
Frequent Visitor

Same question here:

Even when I try to re publish the report after adding some new pages/ visuals to the existing report from Desktop to Service, Personal bookmarks are lost and need to re create them once again.

Is there any way to preserve the personal bookmark when we re publish the report from Desktop to Service ?

Thanks 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you republish a report, it will be deleted first and then added to the workspace. So, your app consumers will lose all customizations such as bookmarks, comments, etc.

You need to change your report in Power BI Service and then update the app.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

abristow
Frequent Visitor

@Icey I'm using pipeline deployment from development to test to production. 

Do you know if the file will be considered the "same" if I make changes in PBI Service [Development] and have it pushed thru the pipeline to the end-user app?

Thanks for any insighs you can provide!

Same question here - is there a reliable way to deploy reports through CI/CD without losing personal bookmarks?

Did you ever find an answer to this? We have a prod workspace that we want to add to a deployment pipeline without losing personal bookmarks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors