Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NeedhelpBI
Frequent Visitor

Same gateway for different companies possible?

Hi,

I have 10 different companies and I want to create a data model for each of them from the same PowerBI premium license (each company has it owns workspace). Each of the 10 companies have local data meaning I need a gateway to acess the data.

How can I create a "standard" or "general" gateway I can use for each company?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please clarify what you mean by each company. Are they different businesses with data sources hosted on different networks?

If all the companies have their own "local" data sources, I suggest you build a data foundation first (data mart/data warehouse) and the layer Power BI on top.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

As long as the server / computer you install the gateway on has access to all the sources and your admin user has access to all the tenants it should work I guess.

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please clarify what you mean by each company. Are they different businesses with data sources hosted on different networks?

If all the companies have their own "local" data sources, I suggest you build a data foundation first (data mart/data warehouse) and the layer Power BI on top.

They are different companies with different data that needs an gateway acess. The data is not large, so I do not need a datawarehouse/mart so work with it. The question is if I can make a generel gateway setup I can use across all companies? 

@NeedhelpBI wrote:

The question is if I can make a generel gateway setup I can use across all companies? 

Yes. If each company's data is accessible from the server where you are installing the gateway, one gateway should be enough. 

Thank you.
Could I setup the gateway on an Azure server or what would be the best practice for having the same gateway for different companies?

@NeedhelpBI wrote:

Thank you.
Could I setup the gateway on an Azure server or what would be the best practice for having the same gateway for different companies?

Sure, if all the data is accessible from that server.

Thanks can you help me understand what Azure server to create and the following steps? I did some search but I can not find a guideline how to use an Azure setup handling the same gateway for multiple companies. 

Thank you in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors