Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlexNYExcel
Frequent Visitor

Same Dataset multiple reports (or same report different filters)

After building the model how can I use same model = same report from the same dataset for different business users limiting what they can see?

E.g. sales example. Data from same ERP updated daily - how different store managers could have a look on the report/dashboard, but with filters (for that region) that could not be changed?

Europe - could see only Europe Sales, but everything else work same way

Asia - only Asia sales

I guess there is no such solution so far - but maybe any plans or workarounds?

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

share it as read only. then you should not get the interface for in focus mode

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Your only other real option is to hook it up to an SSAS cube and use the Analysis Services Connector, which can enforce per user (row level) security.

Latest book!:

AlexNYExcel
Frequent Visitor

@Greg_Deckler thanks for suggestions, this could partly work, but @btodres has good points about links to reports (remove them is doable) and "In Focus Mode" - any ideas how to delete it?

But main interest of course in reports because static dashboards not good enough in long term

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you could definitely do this for dashboards, not sure about reports yet. So, load up your data model and create 2 dashboards. Focus on one dashboard then switch to your report, filter the report/page by the country and pin it to the dashboard. Switch to the other dashboard, switch back to report, update filter and pin to this 2nd dashboard. Now, share the 2 dashboards with the appropriate people.

Latest book!:

actually, I beleive that in the scenario suggested by smoupre that the filters would still be available to the reader to select different data therefore the data would not be locked down as required.  

On the report side, yes, but dashboard visualizations do not provide that interface.

Latest book!:

When I click on a Dashboard tile and it opens, I am still seeing the Fliters avaiable in the right hand side of the screen - am I missing something?

Correct, because you have a drill through to the report, you would need to get rid of the drill through to the report. So, make sure that the dashboard tile doesn't link to anything (can't click on it), just set a custom link to nowhere.

You would also have to make the dashboard read only to prevent the user from going into "In Focus" mode. For example, if you look at the Retail Analysis Sample, you do not have the options to click on In Focus mode, etc. from the Dashboard visualizations. In Focus mode will give you access to the filters.

Latest book!:

Not following -

1. How would you remove the "In Focus Mode" icond from the tile in the Dashboard to make it read only?
  2. without the drill through to the report, how would the user interact with the dashboard - it would just be a static visual?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors