Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Salesforce "cannot be added to gateway" for Enterprise Gateway. Works in Personal Gateway. Why?

Hi, 

I was looking to switch my datasets from a Personal Gateway to an Enterprise Gateway, so that I could play with Dataflows.  I suppose it's fine to run *both* a personal gateway, and an enterprise (what I'm doing right now), but seemed cleaner to just use one. 

When migrating my Salesforce connection from my Personal Gateway to my Enteprise Gateway though, it says "cannot be added".   Why would that be? 

Thanks, 

Salesforce cannot be added to Gateway.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1

If your dataset only contains SalesForce data source, no gateway is required.

Power BI Service connect directly to your SalesForce data source, after you edit the credential for your data source, you are able to refresh the dataset on schedule .

3.png

However, if your combine Salesforce data source and on-premises data sources in a single dataset,

Under Gateway Cluster Settings, select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster > Apply, Under this gateway cluster, add any on-premises data sources used in your queries. You don't need to add the cloud data sources here.

reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

In this scenario, Power BI personal gateway is needed, I haven't found an option for Salesforce data source under on-premises gateway.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Does anyone found the solution to connect Salesforce & the SQL dataset together?

Capture.JPG

I am still unable to assign the on-premise gateway to the salesforce. On-premise gateway is required as one of the data-set is of MS SQL. 

I am able to refresh the report using Personal gateway but would want to avoid using it, as it will create dependency on my machine. 

Any solution would be highly appreciable.

Thank

Karan

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1

If your dataset only contains SalesForce data source, no gateway is required.

Power BI Service connect directly to your SalesForce data source, after you edit the credential for your data source, you are able to refresh the dataset on schedule .

3.png

However, if your combine Salesforce data source and on-premises data sources in a single dataset,

Under Gateway Cluster Settings, select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster > Apply, Under this gateway cluster, add any on-premises data sources used in your queries. You don't need to add the cloud data sources here.

reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

In this scenario, Power BI personal gateway is needed, I haven't found an option for Salesforce data source under on-premises gateway.

Best Regards

Maggie

"In this scenario, Power BI personal gateway is needed, I haven't found an option for Salesforce data source under on-premises gateway"

Ah, I guess it's a no-go then, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors