Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WMead

Salesforce credentials invalid for cloud refresh, but work in desktop

Hello,

We have a large data set that uses the salesforce object online service to get data from salesforce. It's been refreshing 8 times a day for about 2 years. Recently we started having the odd refresh fail with the message "The credentials provided for the Salesforce source are invalid. (Source at https://login.salesforce.com/.)" , which wasn't a major issue as it was refreshing the other 7 times. Now the data set is getting this error every time it tries to refresh, scheduled or on demand.

The desktop version of the data set refreshes fine with the credentials. And when either the cloud or desktop version refreshes salesforce logs a succesful authentication via the PowerBI oauth app. 

Our salesforce settup is a live enterprise instance with a non SSO service account. We haven't changed the service account permissions recently and it's credentials aren't due a change. We are also nowhere near our API call limit, even with other integrations running with Salesforce.

Obviously i'm keen to get the data set refreshing again, as the alternatives look manual or involve a lot of rework. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Will

4 REPLIES 4
ReportGuru
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @WMead I know this reply is very late. As a workaround, maybe you can try to test your connection with a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai, supermetrics (which doesn't have PBI as a destination, so you first have to export to Google Sheets and then export to PBI) and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the Salesforce connector in the data sources list:

SALESFORCE-1.png

After that, just grant access to your Salesforce account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your Salesforce fields:

SALESFORCE-2.png

There just select the fields you need. It is also compatible with custom fields and custom objects, so you'll be able to export them through windsor.  Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url. 

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @WMead,

I don't have any experience with SalesForce, but are you using a Data Gateway? If yes, then:
- Is that up to date with the June version? Just to rule out some things.
- Are you sure no one changed the gateway entry?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi @nickyvv ,

I think i'm not using a datagateway, as i'm currently just using the out of the box salesforce object integration. To replicate my settup you would:

Create a new report

Get data

More

Online services

Salesforce objects

Either way I'm on version 2.82.5858.641 64-bit (June 2020) and am currently a team of one, so am reasonably confident there were no manual changes to the dataset. 

Thanks for asking those questions, definetly should have included that info in my original post.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@WMead,

Hmm, than I think I'm out of options.

If you have a Pro account you could open a (free) support ticket. Go to the support page to file a support ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors