Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulCo
Helper II
Helper II

Salesforce Refresh

Hi There

I've created a dashboard in the Power BI desktop application which imports data from the Salesforce Reports Get Data funtcionality. I am using a trial Pro License. I want to know how to set up an automatic refresh of the report. 

I've uploaded the report to Power BI online but so far the only way I see of refreshing the data is to go to the dataset on the Power BI app and clicking refresh.

Is there a way for me to set up a daily/hourly refresh of even to see the live data each time I access the dashboard through the application or through the mobile app? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PaulCo,

You combine online data source(Salesforce) and on-premises data sources(Excel file) in a single dataset, please install Power BI personal gateway and enter credentials for each data source after configuring personal gateway in your dataset following guide in the article below, this way, you will be able to set schedule refresh for this dataset.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-4-6-install-configure-personal-...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PaulCo,

After you publish the SalesForce reports to Power BI Service, go to Settings->Datasets and find your dataset, you should find that Power BI Service connect directly to your SalesForce data source, after you edit the credential for your data source, you  are able to schedule the dataset to refresh daily or schedule it to refresh in different date time, but please note the refresh frequency can be up to eight times per day. There is a similar example for your reference.
1.PNG

After you schedule refresh for your dataset, you will not need to manually refresh the dataset in Power BI Service. And in Service and mobile app, you are able to view updated data in dashboard each time Power BI automatically refresh the dataset according to the schedule.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The Report that I created was done on the desktop application using the 'Get Data' option and selecting the Salesforce Reports option.

When i publish this report and click on it on the Power BI web appliaction I don't have the option to refresh the report. 

When I use the Get Data option on the Web Application and connect to the Salesforce Reports I do have the option to schedule a refresh but I have already done all of the work in the Desktop application.

Do I have to redo all of this work in the new report created on the Power BI website application? 

Hi @PaulCo,

After you publish reports to Power BI Service, could you please post a screenshot about the Settings for your dataset in Power BI Service?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks for your assistance,

Report Settings 1.png

Here is the screenshot of the reports settings. The Data source Credentials is greyed out. When I go to the settings of the other dataset which I set up on the Power BI website using the SFDC content pack I can schedule a refresh but not for the one I created in the Deesktop application.

Thanks

Hi @PaulCo,

Do you combine multiple data sources in your dataset in Power BI Desktop? Could you please post a screenshot of your data sources in Power BI Desktop? You can go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings to check data sources for Power BI Desktop.

In addition, you don't have to re-create all reports in Power BI Service. If you combine mutiple data sources in a dataset, make sure the personal gateway is online and  you are able to use the gateway to refresh your dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

HI Lydia, thanks for your help.

Here is my data sources. Currently I only have SFDC and 2 excel spreadsheets which are saved on my desktop.

Data Settings.png

Do I have to setup a gateway before I can feed straight from SFDC to my reports? I have downloaded the application but i have not set up any feeds. 

Do you know which data connection I would need to add to allow the used of the excel spreadsheets? 

Data Source.png

Hi @PaulCo,

You combine online data source(Salesforce) and on-premises data sources(Excel file) in a single dataset, please install Power BI personal gateway and enter credentials for each data source after configuring personal gateway in your dataset following guide in the article below, this way, you will be able to set schedule refresh for this dataset.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-4-6-install-configure-personal-...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi !! 

I am using only Salesforce and it´s does not refresh automathicaly. I tried adding a schedulled refresh but did not work. 

Any idea what I should be checking?

thanks!

hi, I am using only salesforce and its not refrshing automaticaly. I also created a schedulled refresh and did not work. Any idea what I should be looking into? 

thanks!

Hi @ariankrakov, you're not the only one; I have multiple service reports whose data i'm fetching from salesforce and these days, it keeps dropping the credential from the dataset settings more frequently, almost every refresh (multiple times in single day).

I get email alert for refresh failure and have to re-enter the credential from the datasets (sometimes ask for password, sometimes just sign in) and then force refresh the data.

It is quite frustrating that MS is not focusing on the major connectors... 

@k3rz0rg& @ariankrakov, I'm having similar issues with the Salesforce data set refreshing. My desktop app is fine and displays everything as expected. However, something gets corrupted with the powerbi.com data set refreshing schedule. It feels like my Salesforce credentials fail to save within powerbi.com.

I've also found that manual refreshing from the desktop app and republishing to the online version is a work-around, but I need the refresh schedule to work so my overseas stakeholders are not reliant upon me being plugged in 24/7.

Hi @rkoretoff ,

the only workaround I found is having only one connection per report. Previously I had 3 to 4 table added to a report different times ended up having 3 connections. After multiple hour long conversation with the microsoft support guy, only useful solution he could come up with only if I could merge em all into single connection (which I didn't really wanna, that means re-creating the whole thing again); so I did re-create the report with one connection and added those tables all at once and running fine since then.

I re-polished other reports with salesforce connections and been working fine since then. Just marge em all into single link or minimize the number of connections. Hope that might work.

-K3

I am pulling multiple reports from SFDC and excel sheets and they all seem to be working ok for the automatic refreshes. 

I am using a virtual machine which the IT department setup so that it is online all of the time. This is where I have the gateway installed. 

The excel sheets are on a shared drive which the Virtual Machine has access to. The only time I get issues is when the IT department does some maintenance and the VM goes offline. Other than that it works fine. 

Thanks, I managed to get the gateway up and running.

Thank you for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors