Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSRS reports cannot connect to azure DB in power BI Service.

Hi all,

Aim: get SSRS reports working in PowerBI service.

So far: I have a couple of SSRS reports which can run on my laptop. I can currently connect them (in Visual Studio) to the Azure DB with AD password Auth and the reports run.  I have uploaded them to PBI service.  Update: I have tried using ODBC connection, but PBI service does not support that.

However, I can not get them to access the Azure DB from PowerBI service.  The first thought it might be a firewall issue and turned "Allow Azure services on". The Error message is: Cannot open server "_____" requested by the login.  The login failed.  Status 400.

One thing to note, the authentication method in PBI service only allows basic connection.

Are there any other suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, the library for Report Builder should support AAD auth with a proper auth prompt like it does for Azure Analysis Services, or we'll make sure it does when we do this work to support it.  We have to implement the auth support independent of what is currently supported for PBIX, since the way data sources are used is different betweent the report types.  We're planning to add this support in near future.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Does the report run/open in Power BI Report Builder?  Is IP filtering enabled for the Azure SQL db?  Are you using any features in the report that might not be supported currently (subreports, for example)?  Wondering if it is just a misleading error message

Also might try using SQL Server creds if that works.  Want to make sure we narrow it down properly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisfinYeah, I think using a SQl database connection may be the option, one the customer doesn't want to use unfortunatly.

@v-yuta-msftI am not sure what you are refering to? My guess is that you are suggesting using AD universal - MFA connection. Which, based on my understanding, is not the same as AD password.

My current undestanding is that it is an authentication issue:

Report Bulider only supports> windows & SQL server

Visual Studio SSDT supports> windows, SQL server, AD intergrated & Ad password

PowerBI supports> windows, database (SQL server I assume) & microsoft sign in (AD - universial with MFA i assume)

I think the plan is to use a gateway at somepoint, my guess would be once that is set up them maybe windows/SQL server authication methods would be an option. However, I am very new to this.

Well, the library for Report Builder should support AAD auth with a proper auth prompt like it does for Azure Analysis Services, or we'll make sure it does when we do this work to support it.  We have to implement the auth support independent of what is currently supported for PBIX, since the way data sources are used is different betweent the report types.  We're planning to add this support in near future.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Use https instead of http in the URL of azure db server and check if this issue persists.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors