Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dustinn
Resolver I
Resolver I

SSRS Server Power BI Integration Error - Failed to sign in to Azure Active Directory

Hi, first of all I'm making reports via SQL Server Mobile Report Publisher on a server (ssrs server is working fine). At Reporting Services Configuration under Power BI Configuration, when I tried to login/connect with my account it only gives me the error "Sign in to Azure Active Directory. Failed to sign in to Azure Active Directory." (does it even have to do something with the server or I'm still missing some configuration?). So how can I solve this one ?(I'm still new with rs stuffs so kindly explain it in a more detailed way). Every help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

It is now working, can confirm that the problem is about the proxy server used in the server (but we have'nt  tried your solution if it works). For now we got additional problem whenever trying to sign in to power bi at ssrs web portal (see screenshot below).

Also, does raising a ticket only available on Pro users? does trial version of pro counts? Thanks.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
dustinn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, I'm trying Power BI Integration on SSRS 2016 but the server where SSRS 2016 is running resides at xyz.local. I read from Guy in a Cube that Power BI only talks to Azure Active Directory, the problem is that AAD only got the domains of xyz.com.cy (cy=country, the one most similar to xyz.local) and abc-def.com.cy (this is the client's default one, mainly used for emails). I don't think the server can communicate to Power BI during the Integration, is there any way to confirm this since theres the log is only saying invalid PBI Configuration during the time of Integration. Infra team says there's only upward relationship from local AD up to Azure AD via Dir Sync but no downward interaction (From AAD to Local AD), does this have an impact?

Thanks.

dustinn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Tried adding the account to Azure AD and still not working (also tried other user accounts registered under Azure AD), we also tried doing multiple solutions via search but still no luck on making the power bi integrate with ssrs server. 

Checked RS log and gives this error

Spoiler
library!defaultDomain!503c!10/12/2016-09:20:24:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: Invalid PBI Configuration, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error. ;

With this, I don't know where the problem might be, maybe I Configure the SSRS report wrong? (but its working on web). Screenshot of the power bi integration error below:error.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dustinn,

From the error message, the issue can be caused by that your origination account is not a member of the Azure AD tenant. Please get a Azure AD tenant for your account. Also before you register the Power BI Integration page in Reporting Services Configuration Manager, please check if your environment meet requirements below:

Power BI Report Server Integration (Configuration Manager)

Pin Reporting Services items to Power BI Dashboards

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft Thank you for your reply. I'm not really familiar in terms of AAD, from what I basically understand based on your links provided and videos I watched from guy in a cube, what I only need to do is make sure the account I'm signing in with the SSRS Power BI Integration should be existing at Azure Active Directory tenant (Am I still right?). Is the account I used to integrate power bi with ssrs can still be used for pinning the tiles at the dashboard at RS Server? Just to confirm, a sample screenshot below shows me adding a user at Office365, will it reflect on Azure AD portal and help me fix my error? Thanks.

sample.png

Hi @dustinn,

To Integrate and Register the Report Server, you need to sign in Power BI. Please check if the account you typed can access Power BI Service at this link https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ . If not, please sign up a Power BI account: Self-service sign up for Power BI. Also the account integrate Power BI with SSRS can still be used for pinning the tiles to the dashboard at report server.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Can confirm that the account I'm using to sign in with Power BI Integration can access Power BI Service. I think the problem is almost the same with this one ( tried whoami /upn and it gives different account than the one registered under Azure Active Directory) but I don't know how it works on reporting services or what will be the solution is.  

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@dustinn, as you already have the O365 account in your organization, your organization should already have the Azure Active Directory.

For your issue, I need to know that which account you're using to perform the Power BI integration? According to the article Qiuyun provided above, the account you're using needs to be:

1). A member of the Azure AD tenant. You mentioned that you add a user account in AAD, do you use it to do the configuration?

2). A Reporting Services system administrator and a system administrator for the ReportServer catalog database.

3). Used to install Reporting Services, or the account the Reporting Services service is running under.

Hi @Vicky_Song,

1). A member of the Azure AD tenant. You mentioned that you add a user account in AAD, do you use it to do the configuration?
Yes.

2). A Reporting Services system administrator and a system administrator for the ReportServer catalog database.
Correct me if I'm wrong (also not sure which is which):
• At Web Portal, added the user at Security under Site Settings (System Administrator, System User). Added the same user at Manage folder (Browser, Content Manager, My Reports, Publisher, Report Builder). Is this the Reporting Services system administrator?
• Not sure how to check if its a system administrator or not, but the user was on ReportServer Catalog (checked via Management studio then under ReportServer database).

3). Used to install Reporting Services, or the account the Reporting Services service is running under.
I already tried both but still not working. At first I'm only using the latter one but when I setup SSRS at another server I'm using the account used to install reporting services.

Anyway, not sure if it has something to do with this but the server domain I'm using resides at xyz.local (did a few google search and says its an old method to set up a domain and as the name suggest it is indeed local) and AAD got domains of xyz.com.cy (cy=country) and abc-def.com.cy (this is the client's default one, mainly used for emails). I watched some tutorials using Active Directory Domains and Trusts and Dir Sync but the server I'm using doesn't have one. I follow this link Verify a trust and shows no Active Directory Domains and Trusts. I think it's reasonable if it is the problem since I'm getting the error Failed to sign in to Azure Active Directory (maybe no interaction from on prem server?)

Also, I'm getting a new error which is Proxy Authentication required (For now, I'm only getting this error). Kindly keep in mind that I tried many things but I keep getting errors for Power BI Integration and I even tried to change some config settings and not sure if I returned it to its default or not (if it affected some parts or not but I can still view the web portal and web service).

Note:
• Posted the same question at SSRS Forum at microsoft technet. Kindly check the link for additional details. Thank you.
• Not really familiar with Azure Active Directory (so please be specific and keep it minimal as possible)

Regards,
dustinn

any update?
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@dustinn, sorry for the late response. I'm trying to involve other senior engineers to have a check on this. 

Thank you, your help is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Dustin

Hi @dustinn,

Sorry for the late response.

I got the information from the senior engineer, he said:

"May I know if you configure any proxy server in your environment. If yes, could you please try this method:

Create a config file for the RSConfigTool.exe tool that is by default installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn. (The number is based on your SQL version)

This file should be named RSConfigTool.exe.config and it should contain:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<system.net>

<defaultProxy enabled="true" useDefaultCredentials="true">

<proxy bypassonlocal="true" proxyaddress="http://<proxyserveraddress>" />

</defaultProxy>

</system.net>

</configuration>

You should replace the <proxyserveraddress> parameter with the name of the proxy server to be used.

It will be better you can raise a ticket so that we can do more troubleshooting. The current info is not really enough to analyze. "

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

It is now working, can confirm that the problem is about the proxy server used in the server (but we have'nt  tried your solution if it works). For now we got additional problem whenever trying to sign in to power bi at ssrs web portal (see screenshot below).

Also, does raising a ticket only available on Pro users? does trial version of pro counts? Thanks.

Hi @dustinn,

Please check the Reporting Services error log (default location: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\<SQL Server Instance>\Reporting Services\LogFiles) around the time that the error message thrown out. Please post the detail error log for our analysis if possible.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors