Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrockDietrich
Regular Visitor

SSO user id different than email address, how do I fix this?

Our organization has integrated our Active Directory with Azure AD to support access to Office365.  However, when accessing our email or PowerBI instance, the user id we must provide is our userid@domain, which is different than our email address.  The causes an issue with PowerBI, because sharing emails don't get delivered, since userid@domain is not a resolvable email address.  What changes need to take place to enable our user id to be our resolvable email address, or to have PowerBI send notification emails to a different email address?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh, sorry 🙂 We had the exact same problem with our Exchange connector for some time until we added the UPN support.

For your problem, while waiting for here for a reply, I'd recommend also opening a support ticket on the PBI Service website.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
arify
Employee
Employee

Just to make sure, you are talking about connecting to Exchange, right?

When you click Exchange, it'll first ask for your mailbox. Then, credentials dialog will come. In there, you need to put your user id to the UPN field. (First time connection could be slow, but it won't be that slow afterwards)

I'm talking about logging into PowerBI.  When I log in, my user name appears as the UPN, not my email address.  The symptom I am experiencing is that when my Personal Gateway refresh process fails, I do not receive a notification email.  When I look at the setting for the scheduled refresh, it shows the "Contact Information" as my UPN, not my email address.  I'm hypothesizing that this is what is causing me not to receive the emails.  So, my question is what would need to happen to resolve this email going to an invalid address?

2016-05-27_15-47-26.jpg

Oh, sorry 🙂 We had the exact same problem with our Exchange connector for some time until we added the UPN support.

For your problem, while waiting for here for a reply, I'd recommend also opening a support ticket on the PBI Service website.

Thank you arify.  Your response about adding UPN support got me going in the right direction.  I found that my UPN is listed under proxyAddresses in AD, but the domain doesn't have a registered MX record on the DNS server.  So, while our exchange team did add UPN support for email, they didn't take the last step to register the mail server.  Below are some articles that explain it.

https://lostandfoundidentity.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/dude-what-is-my-upn-or-wait-is-it-an-email-add...

http://blogs.perficient.com/microsoft/2015/07/office-365-why-your-upn-should-match-your-primary-smtp...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors