Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

SSMS 19 Bug - Error logging into XMLA Endpoint

Now that SSMS 19.0 has been released to the public, I continue to have trouble logging into the XMLA endpoint with SSMS. It works fine in SSMS 18. But when I try to log in to the XMLA endpoint in SSMS 19, I get a very lengthy error. This happens on multiple machines.

UNABLE TO OBTAIN AUTHENTICATION TOKEN USING THE CREDENTIALS PROVIDED

THERE WAS AN ERROR PARSING WS-TRUST RESPONSE FROM THE ENDPOINT

This never was and still isn't a problem in SSMS 18.

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, and reinstalling/upgrading my ADO/OLEDB/ASP components (all the ones required) to the latest versions.

Is my Azure account messed up?  Or does SSMS 19 not support XMLA Endpoint (yet)?

AnonymousPerson_0-1675096804844.png

AnonymousPerson_1-1675096896498.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

I have resolved the issue with the help of the Microsoft Power BI support team. You need to create an environment variable on your Windows PC (easiest way is to type "Edit the system environment variables" in the Start menu).

The variable should be named "MS_AS_EnforceAdalUsage", and the value should be set to "1".  Then restart SSMS 19, and login to Power BI XMLA endpoint works.

The support engineer said this is a bug in SSMS and will be fixed in the next update to SSMS 19 (current at time of writing is 19.0.1)

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
theitdude

Still using this to fix this issue in SMSS 19.1.56 😕

JanVrbinc

Encountered the same bug when connecting to Azure analysis services from SSMS v19.1
The fix with the environment variable worked 🙂

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

I have resolved the issue with the help of the Microsoft Power BI support team. You need to create an environment variable on your Windows PC (easiest way is to type "Edit the system environment variables" in the Start menu).

The variable should be named "MS_AS_EnforceAdalUsage", and the value should be set to "1".  Then restart SSMS 19, and login to Power BI XMLA endpoint works.

The support engineer said this is a bug in SSMS and will be fixed in the next update to SSMS 19 (current at time of writing is 19.0.1)

Had this problem on Windows 11 fresh install and the newest SSMS 19.1.56.0 when connecting to Azure Analysis Services. Trick with MS_AS_EnforceAdalUsage fix the issue. Thanks a lot AnonymousPerson!

This is the answer I needed, thanks AnonymousPerson!

thank you very much @AnonymousPerson I'll give it a try

R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@AnonymousPerson  it works for me also

it's a bug at the end of the day

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

I guess I will submit a case to Power BI support because the SSMS team is refusing to own this so far. I'll report back if I discover anything.

It would be great @AnonymousPerson. MSFT seems not taking care about it, at least in the official post of SSMS 19.0

AGo
Post Patron
Post Patron

Same problem for me accessing with MFA. Downgraded to v18 and working fine now. We'll wait for a bug fix in v19 from Microsoft.

R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@AnonymousPerson  I had same answer from microsoft. they're not considering as a bug but a problem with our tenant... my network guys are confused because we actually don't use ADFS...

PSJohnG
Regular Visitor

Same issue here 18.x works fine, 19.x fails trying windows auth, 19.01 does not fix the issue (not listed in the bug fixes either).

John

R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@AnonymousPerson is that a PPU, Premium capacity or embeeded? facing same issue on PPU and embedded not a capacity... it seems... those are on 2 different tenants so I cannot be 100% sure it's not "tenant based issue"

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @AnonymousPerson 

Could you try and run SSMS as an Administrator to see if that works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

I tried running SSMS 19 as an admin and logging into the XMLA endpoint.

I do it exactly the same way in SSMS 18 and SSMS 19.

In SSMS 18 I can log right in (after passing MFA)

In SSMS 19 I get the error:

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------
Cannot connect to powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/Operations.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Unable to obtain authentication token using the credentials provided. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)
There was an error parsing WS-Trust response from the endpoint. This may occur if there is an issue with your ADFS configuration.

Can anybody verify that XMLA endpoint is working in SSMS 19?  I've scoured the documentation and I don't see anything about any breaking changes or known limitations in SSMS 19. It's weird.

We also experience the same problem access PPU endpoints using SSMS 19.0 (as admin or otherwise). We're not running Premium Capacity so can't comment on that.

EDIT: Just adding that we get ADFS related messages for SSMS 19.0 as well and, like the above, we don't use ADFS.

Hi @AnonymousPerson 

Yeah that appears to be an error with SSMS 19.0

I am sure that this will be reported and a fix sent out soon!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ It does appear to be a bug in SSMS 19.0. But I heard back from MS on the issue and they said contact my "network folks" (who have actual issues to handle). Microsoft isn't owning this.

So I am still wondering how I am the only person in the world that SSMS 19 XMLA Endpoint connections won't work for.  I guess my MS365 tennant must be very unique. 🙄 

You are not the only person. I have had this exact same issue ever since I upgraded to SSMS 19.

I followed the steps and upgraded the apps per this site: Cannot access analysis server via ssms - Microsoft Q&A and that nocked the error down to this

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/SRI Azure Synapse [Prod].

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unable to obtain authentication token using the credentials provided. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

There was an error parsing WS-Trust response from the endpoint. This may occur if there is an issue with your ADFS configuration. See https://aka.ms/msal-net-iwa-troubleshooting for more details. Error Message: An error occurred while sending the request. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

An error occurred while sending the request. (mscorlib)

The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. (System)

The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later (System)

BUTTONS:

OK

But I am still looking for the overall solution to the problem. I feel that this has to be something with SSMS 19 just because all works fine when I use SSMS 18.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors