Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SSLMODE used by Gateway with Postgres server data source

Hi

When I connect to on-premise Postgres Server from PBI Desktop with Encryption turned on, the connection uses SSLMODE=verify-full. However, when I connect from Power BI Service Gateway (also with Encryption turned on) to the same on-premise server, it seems the connection uses SSLMODE=require (less secure, connection without server identity validation).

Is there a way to force Gateway to use SSLMODE=verify-full ?
Possibly the ssl mode is enforced by built-in Postgres driver.If so, how to force such driver to use verify-full operaional mode?

Dan

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may use the ODBC connector to get PostgreSQL server data source in Power BI Desktop, and force the SSLMode=verify-full, see more details: Tutorial: how to configure Power BI to connect to PGSQL ran by Meiro .

Driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)};Server={host_domain};Port={port};Database={name_of_ the_database};SSLMode=require;UseUnicode=1;

Further references under this link.

183.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xicai 

Thank you for reply.

In the current set up, Power BI Gateway uses native Postgres driver, so ODBC is not an option here.

In the case of ODBC, you are right, I can set up verify-full, however I would like to achieve the same by configuring Postgres driver (NpgSql).

From Postgres specification, I can see that this driver uses two parameters: SSL Mode and Trust Server Certificate.

https://www.npgsql.org/doc/connection-string-parameters.html

but there is no way to 'force' this driver to use 'Trust Server Certificate = false' (required for verify-full functionality).

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support , Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET", to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Have you reviewed the documentation here?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem-indepth

Probably have to edit the gateway config file.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

Thank you for the hint. I haven't looked into this document yet. Let me read it and if I find the answer there, I will mark your answer as the solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors