Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

granthensel
Regular Visitor

SSAS Tabular Row-Level Security: Apply restrictions on dashboards already shared?

I'm using SSAS Tabular, connected to dashboards on app.powerbi.com and am attempting to implement row-level security. 

I've created Roles within the cube that restrict certain users based on a DAX filter. When they attempt to create a new dashboard, the security works. However, when they open a dashboard that had already been shared, the restrictions are not applied. 

Additionally, I've tried creating a report in a Group Workspace, sharing it with a user, and then restricting that user's access through row-level security. 

• When that user logs in to view the report, the security is not applied
  • When the user edits the report, the security is not applied
  • When the user removes and re-adds a measure to a visual, the security suddenly is applied

Is there any reason adding row-level security doesn't immediately take effect, and doesn't seem to be applied to dashboards that have already been shared? 

1 REPLY 1
erikskov
Advocate II
Advocate II

I believe you'll want to look into using a Content Pack to distribute the report. Shared reports effectively show data for the original user (source sender) to the shared individual (receiver). Thus, when the recipient views the shared report, they see the original data. When they actual edit the report a new query is created using their EffectiveUser, and thus the data is filtered Report content distributed through a Content Pack will use the viewer's credentials (EffectiveUser) when requesting the data from SSAS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors