Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vadlamudibi
Helper I
Helper I

SSAS Datasource creation at Gateway Failed

Dear experts,

I have connected SSAS cube live in Power BI Desktop using system account credentials and created report and published to Power BI service, when i try to create Datasource at Gateway with the same credentials it is failing to create and giving the below errors.

Is this known issue? should we do any settings? should i create using Analysis services admin account?

please guide to resolve the issue.

Capture.JPG

Best

Vad

8 REPLIES 8
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vadlamudibi ,

Please check if your Server name and Database name is correct, and make sure the Username and Password is your local gateway installed computer domain_name\user_name and password, for example if the computer account is abc@def.com, then the domain_name\user_name is def\abc, the password is the password longlining in to the computer.

9.png

In addition, you need to set Map user name, replace your Power BI Desktop account with the your local gateway installed computer domain_name\user_name. you can refer to the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas#map-user-names.

Or try to upgrade the data gateway to latest version.

You may resolve the issue via the troubleshooting link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#data-sources .

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi All,

thanks for the support, after adding the service account to the admin group i am able to create Gateway connection.

when i publish the dataset to Power BI Service and try to access the Dataset and Report in power bi service i am getting below error message, though i am using the same accounts for both PBI Desktop and PBI server.

Capture.JPG

Best

Venu

Was it the SSAS admin account - as the admin account will have access to all cubes and roles.  This looks like the permission was assigned but not to the roles of the cube.  If it's the admin, it should not need to be in the roles as it's "Admin god all rights".

Hello,

It is not SSAS Admin account, but service account with access to 2 databases to connect to Power BI and this service account is having admin permissions added.

Best

Venu

The service account should be added to a "read" role that you create on the cube itself in SSMS. It doesn't need full permissions to the cubes, just a read permission is fine.  It just needs admin on the gateway is all.

Hi there

If the data source is an SSAS On Premise database you will have to map the UPN (UserPrincipalName) to the Domain\UserName in order for this to work.

If it is AAS then you should be fine by adding the users to a specific role.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When connecting via the Gateway the service account has to have Admin rights to the SSAS Server.

If you do not have an Admin account, you will need to ask an Admin to create the data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors