Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmesmeric
Frequent Visitor

SQL -> Power BI - 15/30 mins, slow refresh rate :(

Hi Guys,

I have a stream analytics stream. This outputs real time data every second to power BI, works great 🙂

The problem is my other data source, an Azure SQL instance. (which displays charts on the same dashboard)

It only refreshes the tiles every 15/30 mins. I really need this to refresh every 10 seconds!

Can i force a refresh of the dashboard tiles every 10 seconds for example (force a manual refresh basically), has anyone done this?

If this isn't possible i think i'm probably have to create a custom .NET app to display the data, is this the only solution?

Thanks for your help,

Felix

5 REPLIES 5
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nmesmeric not 100% sure but you can test it out. use directquery to your database and build report. then use pin live page as a tile for dashboard. in some cases i have seen report getting updated instantly as data changes in db and sometimes not. but since dashboard tile is live page as soon it report visual changes you will see dashboard tile changed. otherwise i think figuring out a way to manually hit refresh for dashboard tile evrey 10 second would be the only option. you can also consider using rest apis to push data live to dataset but then how quickly report visual gets updated as new data comes into dataset via rest api will require some testing.

@AnkitPatira thanks for the advice. Unfortunatley I have tried to pin a live visual based on a direct query to a dashboard. It doesnt refresh unless you manually refresh. It looks like my next option is having a look into automating the manual refresh process.

Unless anyone has any other ideas? 🙂

Thanks again,

Felix

Hi @nmesmeric,

If we use live connection to get data from Azure SQL database, and there is no user interaction with the dashboard tile, by default data is refreshed automatically about every fifteen minutes. If we want to refresh tile more frequently, we need to force a tile refresh by selecting Refresh dashboard tiles. So the behavior which you get is expected.

As @nmesmeric suggested, you can consider to create real-time dashboards use the Microsoft Power BI REST API, or Microsoft Stream Analytics, to make sure the data is up-to-date.

For more information, please refer to Databases in the cloud and Real-time dashboards sections in this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That link in the article to Creating Realtime Dashboards is broken, takes me to an irrelevant page.

The link in that article to Creating Realtime Dashboards is broken or takes me to an irrelevant page.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors