Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL Server & Direct Query - This report couldn't access the data source

Annotation 2020-07-09 111105.png

Yesterday I was updating some of our existing DirectQuery reports and all of a sudden we are getting a new error. This report works fine in Desktop, it's only on the web service that I am getting this error. 

From what I can tell, the data sources are mapped to the gateway correctly. Our gateway and the data sources that are a part of it succeed the test connection. Additionally, the reports I have using Import rather than DirectQuery are able to refresh fine with the same gateway/data sources.

Things I have tried:

1) Updating gateway. Updating our gateway broke it, so we built an entirely new one and re-connected the data sources. Note: This connection uses Windows rather than Basic authentication. 

2) Creating entirely new reports from scratch to ensure that the server information added on Desktop match the server information on the Web service. Sometimes with new reports I can get visuals to show up, but they stop working after inconsistent updates (e.g., one time I had a report working and then I changed the theme and re-published it and the visuals couldn't connect anymore).

1 REPLY 1
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does your report contain RLS?
What is your role in the workspace?

Can you use the dataset to create new reports in Service?

Can your report be refreshed locally?

There may be a problem with the data source, or a problem with the connection, or a problem with the access permission.

However, if it can be accessed locally, it is more likely to be a problem of connection or access permission.

Or does your data set have these limitations?

Limitations of DirectQuery 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors