Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmorley
Frequent Visitor

SQL Connections authenication problems

Hi,

I have a sql server 8.00.818 (this is a legacy setup and cannot be upgraded to latest versions) setup but unable to get powerbi to refresh from this server on regular basis as it fails saying there is an issue with the credentials, but when checking the gateway and datasources these are fine.

So I setup a test on a sql express 14.0.1000 setup which pulls the data from the original server and then I have powerbi use the sql express database and this works fine with no issues with a scheduled refresh, but as I can't configure jobs scheduled jobs within sql express I thought I would try getting it to work with a sql server 9.00.5266.00 setup, which I know is still an older version of SQL, but again I still get the issues with the credentials.

Is there a limitation of what version of sql can be used with power bi to successfully refresh data.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

The issue with the credentials is that PowerBI say they are incorrect, even though the same credentials work via the desktop app and authenticate ok in the datasource in the gateway.

the 'i can't configure scheduled jobs within sql express' litterally means that, within sql express you cannot setup scheduled jobs to run on a regular basis like you can on sql enterprise editions. A solution I will need to do is setup a scheduled task to run a script

I since found out the issues are to do with PowerBI and that you cannot use sql versions prior to 2005 for direct queries and this is the reason why the authenication is failing, it would be better if powerbi gave you a more informative response that was related to this issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmorley,

Could you please post the problem with the crendials and could you check if you could refresh your data in Power BI Desktop?

And I could not understand the sentence "I can't configure jobs scheduled jobs within sql express", could you please offer more information about the 'jobs' and 'scheduled jobs'?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

The issue with the credentials is that PowerBI say they are incorrect, even though the same credentials work via the desktop app and authenticate ok in the datasource in the gateway.

the 'i can't configure scheduled jobs within sql express' litterally means that, within sql express you cannot setup scheduled jobs to run on a regular basis like you can on sql enterprise editions. A solution I will need to do is setup a scheduled task to run a script

I since found out the issues are to do with PowerBI and that you cannot use sql versions prior to 2005 for direct queries and this is the reason why the authenication is failing, it would be better if powerbi gave you a more informative response that was related to this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors