Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TimHellegers Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

SQL 2016 on Power BI Gateway server

Hi,

An IT employee at my organization asks me if it is possible to install SQL 2016 on the server where our Data Gateway is running on. Is this okay to do? And if not, why not? I need to explain why it is not recommended.

GuyInACube said in a video that this was not recommended, but doesn't say why.

Our data gateway only pushes data once per day at night.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: SQL 2016 on Power BI Gateway server

@TimHellegers It largely comes down to resource usage. If the gateway will only ever refresh at night, then you likely have minimal to no impact. But, if you know you will scale, and more reports will start to require refresh then depending on what the SQL server is doing there might be some contention, delays or failures. The recommendation for a seperate gateway machine is so that as you scale up and add more and more reports that require more resources to refresh that you won't impact your reports. Outside of that, there is no issue. I've had both scenarios work well (dedicated machine vs. shared)

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

@TimHellegers It largely comes down to resource usage. If the gateway will only ever refresh at night, then you likely have minimal to no impact. But, if you know you will scale, and more reports will start to require refresh then depending on what the SQL server is doing there might be some contention, delays or failures. The recommendation for a seperate gateway machine is so that as you scale up and add more and more reports that require more resources to refresh that you won't impact your reports. Outside of that, there is no issue. I've had both scenarios work well (dedicated machine vs. shared)

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
TimHellegers Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks you for your clear answer! This helps me a lot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 896 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: