Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

plopper_n0k
Frequent Visitor

SHARED DATASET: Composite model is not hitting the aggregate table.. why?

Hello - 

I have created a data model that has the past year of data saved in an aggregate table (import mode).  All aggregation settings are set up and when you work in the model pbix itself.. aggregate table hits.  Great.

plopper_n0k_2-1654194580220.png

Now - we want to publish this model to PBI Online and reference it in other workbooks but.. the aggregate table DOES NOT hit.

plopper_n0k_3-1654194741523.png

There are no RLS settings set up and the aggregate table is un-hidden yet.. when working in a "satellite" workbook connected to the shared dataset - the aggregate table is completely ignored.

I know it seems like the time difference is not substantial but as we get into more difficult queries - load time = 13-15 seconds.

Any ideas?

MODEL OVERVIEW:

Main table

plopper_n0k_0-1654194446067.png
Aggregate table

plopper_n0k_1-1654194510479.png

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @plopper_n0k 

I would suggest taking the DAX query and running the same query in PBI desktop and to see why it is not working. Typically this could either be the DAX measure and the way that it is written. Or the way the data is modelled.

Unfortunately you will have to try different things to get it to work as expected. A bit of trial and error on your side due to your data being unique to you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ thank you for the reply - for added context, I have copied the query and ran it in the "satellite" report connected to the shared dataset and cannot run DAX Studio (most likely due to XMLA settings which I have the admins looking into).  Would the XMLA settings also affect the query from hitting aggregate tables in workbooks connected to the shared dataset?

plopper_n0k_0-1654258278503.png

If I take the query and run it directly in the model pbix itself, no issues hitting the aggregate table:

plopper_n0k_1-1654258486440.png

Hi @plopper_n0k 

You would need to use DAX studio when connected directly to the imported version of the report.

You could also use SSMS to connect via XMLA to the dataset and then use SQL Profiler to see if the agg tables are getting hit?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors