Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KAATA
Helper I
Helper I

SAP HANA client installation on Power BI Gateway server

Hi everyone,
I am trying to set up connection between SAP Hana database and Power BI.
I can successfully connect to SAP Hana database from Power BI Desktop (I am using Direct query).
The next step is to install the SAP Hana client on the Power BI Gateway server.
I have ran the installation file and got a message that the installation is successful.
However, when I tried to add a new data source on the gateway (in Power BI Service), I received an error that: "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it".
Then I went back to the gateway server and searched for the ODBC driver.
I noticed that the User DSN and System DSN were empty.
I tried adding User DSN or System DSN, using the HDBODBC driver. I use exactly the same server and port that I used in Power BI Desktop.
However, the connection is not successful and I am getting the same error that "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it".
Has anyone faced a similar error? Could it be related to firewall?
Many thanks for your input in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KAATA ,

It seems this error is a network-related error occurred while establishing a connection to the Server. It means that the error is occurring because there is no server listening at the hostname and port you assigned.

Please refer to these thread to see if them help.

No connections could be made because the target machine actively refused them 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

KAATA
Helper I
Helper I

Hi all,
Adding here how it got resolved - it was basically a networking error, so we had to open the ports on the servers.
//KAATA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AlexKeraut
Regular Visitor

Great post

Can you please specify where Power BI Gateway server should be established. Is it enough to simply place PB gateway on PB Pro?

Thanks 

Hi @AlexKeraut,
The Power BI gateway is installed on a remote server. This could be helpful: Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn
//KAATA

KAATA
Helper I
Helper I

Hi all,
Adding here how it got resolved - it was basically a networking error, so we had to open the ports on the servers.
//KAATA

mrodenbaugh
Frequent Visitor

DSN shouldn't matter for the gateway. It's connecting using the driver not the DSN.

We had a few issues connecting to HANA on our end. Hopefully one of these helps:

Make sure the port number is at the end of the server. It will usually be

server.domain.com:30015

Disabling validating the server certificate also helped us at one point. Will depend on your HANA-side configuration.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KAATA ,

It seems this error is a network-related error occurred while establishing a connection to the Server. It means that the error is occurring because there is no server listening at the hostname and port you assigned.

Please refer to these thread to see if them help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors