Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saunders
Helper II
Helper II

SAP BW refresh using on-premise data gateway

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone can help with the following scenario:

1. Added our on-premise SAP BW as a data source to our on-premise data gateway (connectivity is successful)
  2. Imported data from SAP BW to PBI desktop, publish to service
  3. Report and data appear fine in PowerBI.com
  4. After manual or scheduled refresh, the visuals are empty of data, i.e. the data disappears and the visuals contain no data.  I can still see the tables in the dataset, but there are no values when adding columns to a visual.

There is clearly a problem with the refresh through the gateway, i.e. there is connectivity but no data.

Can anyone confirm what specific permissions the gateway credentials need to have in BW to get the data?  For example, to connect and retrieve data from SQL Server, the gateway user requires server admin permissions.  Is it the same with BW?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saunders,

>>For example, to connect and retrieve data from SQL Server, the gateway user requires server admin permissions.I think the issue is not caused by the permission, if your connection is active it means you already have the enough permission to operate the datasource.

In addition, you can try below methods to ensure the issue.

1. Check if issue is related to datasource.

Re-create a datasource and test again.

2. Check if the issue is related to gateway/database.

Add a new type database to test.

3. Check if the issue is related to network connection.
Change a stable network to test.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors