Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ksven
Advocate III
Advocate III

SAP BW Connection | On-Premise Gateway | undefined Error

Hi lovely community,

unfortunately I can't get SAP BW connection with On-Premise Gateway:

Ksven_1-1618324447761.png

On-Premise: Standardmodus

SAP BW Installations on VM:  SAP .NET Connector 3.0 installed (SAP NetWeaver RFC included)

VM Region settings: English (US States)

--> Already have tried: 

VM: Has internal VPN Network

Per Power BI Desktop my SAP BW Connections works fine.

Any ideas about other possible solutions?

BR,

Sven

5 REPLIES 5
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ksven 

According to my research, the SAP NetWeaver library should be installed on your machine, you can get the SAP Netweaver library from your SAP Administrator, or directly from the SAP Software Download Center.

You can also take a look at this thread about finding SAP Netweaver library: https://scn.sap.com/thread/950318.

Then you should also make sure you have your dll files in the correct folder (syswow64 or system32).

v-robertq-msft_0-1618476299180.png

If they don’t have a problem, you can try to copy the dll files contained in the SAP NetWeaver library SDK library into the C:\Windows\System32 folder as discussed in this similar thread. Then check if the issue still persists.

For more information, you can go to check this article about having Power BI on SAP BW using a gateway:

https://lytix.be/having-power-bi-on-sap-bw-using-a-gateway/

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-robertq-msft ,

thank you for reply!

Before I got your message we started to test the SAP BW connection on virtual machine via Power BI Desktop to ensure its not a Gateway problem. Here we received the following error:

Ksven_0-1618495453021.jpeg

After this I've researched for this error message and have found the follwing way:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/SAP-BW-Message-server-connection-failed/td-p/643514

We have done added alle necessary tcp entries and tried again the SAP Connection via Gateway on Power BI service. Now it works fine with Power BI:

Ksven_2-1618495766152.png

But we have tried the same with Power Apps Dataflows with the same Gateway and got the following message (we have ensured the right credentials):

Ksven_3-1618495818367.png

Do you think this is still cause of SAP NetWeaver library?

We already have installed SAP.NET Connector 3.0 like described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-sap-bw-connector

I guess we don't need the library?

"The first version of SAP BW implementation required NetWeaver DLLs. If you're using Implementation 2.0 of the SAP Connector, and not using the first version, the NetWeaver DLLs are not required."

Do you have an idea why SAP BW connection works with Power BI Service but not with Power Apps Dataflows?

BR,

Sven

Hi, @Ksven 

I’m not familiar with the Power APP dataflow, here’s a case that explains this, you can take a look:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataflow-under-Power-BI-vs-Dataflow-under-PowerApps/m-p/913...

Create and use dataflows in Power Apps

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-robertq-msft ,

thank you for reply.

I'm already very familiar with Power Apps Dataflows especially with integration in Microsoft Dataverse. For now I've jsut some trouble with the SAP connection.

But general requirements for SAP Connection via Gateway are the following:

-> VM with US region settings

-> Installation of SAP .NET Connector 3.0

-> VM has internal VPN Network

-> SAP NetWeaver RFC not necessary cause its included in SAP .NET Connector 3.0 ?

If its like this, we have already set up right and would open a new support ticket..

BR,

Sven

Hi, @Ksven 

Under this circustance, opening a support ticket can be a good solution to get the further help. You can also go back to share some experience if the Microsoft support team helped you to find the root reason.

Support Ticket.gif

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors