Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAP BO Universe concept in Microsoft Power BI

Hi,

I am completely new to Microsoft Power BI. I have worked SAP Business Objects and now moving to Microsoft Power BI.

What is similar concept of  SAP BO "Universe" in Power BI.  The same "Universe" can be used in all reports. 

"Universe" :  The semantic layer contains metadata about the table columns and their relationships within the underlying database.

We planned to implement on-premise(Report Server) 

Thanks.

Best Regards

4 REPLIES 4
andyskinner
Regular Visitor

Hi,

SAP BI user here also.  There isn`t a true semantic layer like a Universe with PBI, the clostest thing is to use analysis services cubes (tabular) which gets you some way there but there`s no functionality that you have in a Universe like predfined conditions, contexts, aggregate navigation, folders, @Prompts etc etc.  They are quite different beasts.

Andy

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe you cna refer to this article:

Power BI Connectivity to SAP BusinessObjects BI Now Generally Available 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lionel,

Really appreciate for you response and great information.

We are going to stop SAP BO completely and moving to Power BI Platform. We build many Reports and Dashboards on same universe(Example Report-1, Report-2,Report-3,,,,,,Dashboard-1,Dashboard-2,........ uses same universe).

We planned to build reports and deploy in Power BI Report Server(On-Premises). 

Please guide, where to start and how to have common data model so that all Power BI Reports and Dashboards uses this common data model(which i called above as universe).

Thanks.

Best Regards

Syed Arshad

Hi @Anonymous ,

"Please guide, where to start and how to have common data model so that all Power BI Reports and Dashboards uses this common data model(which i called above as universe)."

You need to use Power BI Desktop to construct models and create reports, then upload to Power BI Service and share reports.

For more you can learn Official documents.

Microsoft Power BI Guided Learning 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors