Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Imrans123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Running power Query Transformation with xls files on Service

HI All, 

Was wondering if anyone could help, my org  uses Premium so I wanted to use DataFlows to run some queries that I am currently running on an on-premise gateway. The query points to a sharepoint folder with .xls files that power query will expand as a transformation step. 

However, on service I get the following error, 

DataSource.NotFound: Excel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.

Since this is service, I don't have access to the Local Machine here. so I can't really install the said software on the computer that's running my dataflow. What is a work around for this? 

4 REPLIES 4

Hi 

You probably need to install that driver on the machine on which the gateway is installed as this is where the PowerQuery is executed.  

Thank you for the suggestion. I want to run it on DataFlows on Premium Service. If I run the same query on the desktop file in "Transform Data", it works perfectly fine. So the driver is installed. 

Are you running Power BI desktop on the same machine as the on-premise gateway? if not then you need to check if all the driver is installed on the gateway server as well.

Another thing worth checking is if you have the 32-bit version of the desktop installed.

I will try it out, but it would help me a lot if you could please explain the logic to me? Because the source is from a sharepoint folder and the transformations are happening on the service. The Data Gateway is neither hosting the files nor doing the transformations. In that case, why should this solve?

Sorry for questioning like this. It is a sensitive issue for me to install something on the data gateway server, as such, I need to be clear and concise as to why I would need these drivers. I would highly appreciate your explanation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors