Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running a report from Power BI Service developed against the TIBCO Data Virtualization connector

Hi All,

We are planning to provide our customers with access to their Cloud hosted data modelled in TIBCO Data Virtualization, a number of these customers have a requirement to analyze this data using Power BI.

I am in the process of proving that this is a viable option for them and have hit a snag.

I have successfully developed a sample report in Power BI Desktop using the TIBCO Data Virtualization connector (having created an ODBC connection using the tooling provided by TIBCO first).  However when I publish the report to Power BI Service and attempt to run it I am getting the error

paul-devereux_0-1606403813208.png

The TDV Server is publiclly accessible, ports 9400-9410 open (as per TDV defaults).

I can work around this problem by developing the report using the normal ODBC connector, obviously this solution requires the On-Premise Gateway in place to work correctly.  The problem with this workaround is that our TDV servers are multi-tenanted and while I can create any number of ODBC connections to serve each client the on-premise gateway can only serve a single Power BI Service.

Can anybody give me some pointers on the error I am receiving using the MS provided TIBCO Data Virtualization connector?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

So you mean you want to reproduce the M query formula in the power bi service query editor online with desktop version codes?  If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following limit list of power query online:

Power Query Online Limits 

BTW, query editor online is different from the desktop version. It is hosted on a cloud server which you not enough permissions to execute all types of functions. So it obviously contains additional limitations for data privacy or security reasons.

Power BI Security#data-storage-security 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors