Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

olejakobk
Frequent Visitor

Row level security with multiple roles

Hi everyone,

I have a on prem tabular SSAS model that I use through the gateway. There are two group of users:

• Sales Managers are managers of salespersons. Dimension table is filtered so that they see all products, but limit salesperson.
  • Product Managers owns prodcuts. Dimension table is filtered so they can see all salespersons, but limit product.

Both these group of users have their own Power BI Dashaboard/Reports, security take hand of filtering the data to their field of interest.

The big question: How can this be solved if one user have both of these groups?

I was thinking I need some way of telling from the Power BI online report that the user is in this "role" now.

First thought was assigning SSAS roles in the connectionstring when creating report in Power BI Desktop. but it doesnt seem to work throught the Enterprise Gateway when published.

The alternative would be to have two models, each with its own security scheme activated.

Any thouhgts?

2 REPLIES 2
clausm73
Helper III
Helper III

I'm facing the same issue - and the RLS documentation is NOT addressing the situation where a user belongs to multiple Security Roles - and we want to restrict on a specific Security Role.

Using Excel its possible to modify the ConnectionString to the Cube / Workspace adding a parameter for the preferred Security Role.

"Roles=Sales Managers" or "Roles= Product Managers".

How can this be achieved using Power BI published reports in the cloud? Where can the report designer choose what Security Role is intended to use a certain report variant?

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@olejakobk,

First thought was assigning SSAS roles in the connectionstring when creating report in Power BI Desktop. but it doesnt seem to work throught the Enterprise Gateway when published.

We can use the role which design on tabular model, here is a document which describe this, please refer to the link below.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tutorial-row-level-security-onprem-ssas-tabular

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors