Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nchandran
Helper I
Helper I

Row level security does not appear on dashboard but yes for preview role.

Hi,

I've created a dashboard in BI service and then applied changes to my dataset with setting RLS to a role. After publishing and see as preview under the role - i could see the correct filter however when i exit out and get the user(the role user) to access the dashboard the user is able to see everything without the RLS applied. Is there something i've missed out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Even though i moved to Dymanic RLS, the solution didnt work because the location where the report was created and published was on te App workspace and i didnt have the admin privillege. MS ticket was raised and the we managed to elevate my permission to admin then i was able to change the access of those shared with the report to viewers only. This fixed the issue.

Owner or member will not work for RLS. Take note ppl.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anand24
Super User
Super User

@nchandran,

Make sure your user is assigned with "Viewer" role in the workspace.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

we hve granted access to the staff on a premium workspace.

and i've shared the dashboard to those staff.

nchandran_0-1597220471099.png

Hi @nchandran ,

The user on whom RLS is applied should be having "Viewer" Role even if the workspace is premium workspace.

RLS doesn't work with any other role.

Go to workspace access and confirm if the user is having viewer role/permission or not.

ws.PNG

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

The user has viewer access. What else should we check to get this working?

Hi @nchandran 

Have you figured out your issue, I am curious is there any additional conditions required to make RLS working.

Regards
Paul

the user has viewer access and its not working so i've tried this instead mapping an id to the powerbi account (trying dymanic RLS) but this isnt working either. A new column called bill owner was set and this will map to the powerbi account but it doesnt work either.

PBI svc setting.jpgManaged role.jpgBill owner.jpg

@nchandran 

This is so weird, I could not reproduce that issue with my tests. Try recheck and follow the RLS tutorial step by step carefully. If still no solution, you can create a support tickets. 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Even though i moved to Dymanic RLS, the solution didnt work because the location where the report was created and published was on te App workspace and i didnt have the admin privillege. MS ticket was raised and the we managed to elevate my permission to admin then i was able to change the access of those shared with the report to viewers only. This fixed the issue.

Owner or member will not work for RLS. Take note ppl.

@nchandran 

Did you add the users to the RLS group is created. And Only Import and DirectQuery connections are supported. Live connections to Analysis Services are handled in the on-premises model.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors