Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row level Security not working right now?

Hi,

could anyone confirm that the RLS is not working at the moment? the RLS setting I set up worked before. But today not working. If I do a test data as role, it works - which means my DAX and other setup is right. But it does not work to view as a member in the role.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tdimbladThe RLS is currently working with the June 2016 power bi update. You can now set up the role and rule in Power BI desktop. And it would not overwrite the role members in Power BI service, which is what is supposed to be. But on the power BI service, it still says it is a preview feature - so I guess we still can not use it for production.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
heitzmanjared
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue, hopefully this is resolved shortly

I'm having the same issue. When testing as role, the report displays without issue. When testing with a member of that role (using email address), all components on the report show an error.

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Mine is working fine for me.  Have you made sure that all people with which it is shared have been added to an RSL category too?

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@samdthompson clearly not working for me. The role set up is right because I can view properly under the Test Data as Role. I have one test user and myself as members of the role. Both myself and the user see everything (report already refreshed). It is also confirmed at the test role screen if I use a view as a individual user option.

My last visit a or two weeks ago definitely worked.

By the way, does it only work under import mode? I am using direct query mode.

@Anonymous wrote:

@samdthompson clearly not working for me. The role set up is right because I can view properly under the Test Data as Role. I have one test user and myself as members of the role. Both myself and the user see everything (report already refreshed). It is also confirmed at the test role screen if I use a view as a individual user option.

My last visit a or two weeks ago definitely worked.

By the way, does it only work under import mode? I am using direct query mode.

@Anonymous

Would you mind clarifying what RLS were you talking about? When I tried to setting security of a dataset in  Power BI service it shows

Capture.PNG

And I'm not yet able to find RLS in Power BI desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eric_Zhang The warning shown is a known issue. You can only set up RLS on Power BI service at the dataset level. And the preview feature does not seem to be working.

I wonder whether the issue stems from a mismatch between the May version of PB Desktop & what I would expect will be released in the June update of the tool? An older (solved) thread on this same topic led me to this article, where it talks about RLS as a feature added to the desktop. May release of the software (as of this morning, still the only version in download), this feature is missing...

Hope I'm not being just a stupid user, can anyone confirm they are missing the desktop Preview option to "Enable cross-filtering in both directions for DirectQuery" and also the "Manage Roles" option under Modelling that are mentioned in the article?

powerbi-desktop-security.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tdimblad I can confirm that it is missing. I assume it will be in the June update as you can see the article was published 2-3 days ago. Apparently Power BI team has been working on this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tdimbladThe RLS is currently working with the June 2016 power bi update. You can now set up the role and rule in Power BI desktop. And it would not overwrite the role members in Power BI service, which is what is supposed to be. But on the power BI service, it still says it is a preview feature - so I guess we still can not use it for production.

Yes it is still a preview feature. With the June 2016 release of Power BI Desktop the role creation was moved from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop. Existing roles that were configured in the service will not work, and the roles need to be setup within Power BI Desktop and then published to the service. 

The nice thing with that is republishing will not cause the roles to get blown away now. As they are part of the Power BI Desktop file.

Youl will still need to add members to the role within the Power BI service.

For more information about RLS, and a list of known limitations, you can check out the official doc.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

I'm using dynamic security (username()), so I shouldn't have to add any member to the role. I tried the role in power bi service and everything works (in test mode), but then when I try just the report in production, it doesn't. Any idea of what is happening?

I setup RLS in desktop, published it to the service and the RLS works in 'Test as Role' mode, but doesn't work when I push out the reports/dataset as a content pack to users. Are content packs not supported?

It is supported. I just tested on my end and it worked with a content pack to both my personal workspace as well as a group.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

Ok I figured my issue out, I guess I wasn't thinking that my email is an admin in the workgroup. 

I published to a workgroup, added my email to the RLS role and published content pack to my personal workspace. The RLS doesn't work on it in my personal workspace because I'm an admin in originiating workgroup I guess? The RLS does work for users that are not admins in the originating workgroup. 

I'm unable to get it to work. I'm publishing the dataset with RLS to a workgroup, adding my email to the role, then publishing the content pack to users and my personal workspace. The RLS does not have any affect except in "Test as Role" view. 

Hello,

I am having difficulty updating my current dataset to work with the new RLS.

I've republished my dataset from the desktop client after creating and testing roles. When I click the 3 ellipses in Power Bi Service I am greeted with the dialog that RLS has been updated. Overwriting my current dataset is not refreshing or adding roles. 

I published the same dataset with a different name and that one works with RLS in service but all our reports are tied to the dataset where RLS is not working.

Hi @Eric_Zhang and @samdthompson I am also experiencing the same thing as you in that the Test Data as Role from the Dataset Security Menu is working on app.powerbi.com, but is not applied to the Report or Dashboard.

I am on the latest version of PowerBI (Desktop Version: 2.35.4399.381 64-bit (May/2016)), but cannot find any reference to Row Level Security in Desktop.

Lets see if a fix is made available soon?

Regards

mine working on both types. log an issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@samdthompson Is your working one on your My Workspace? I published a test report to My Workspace and it worked. But if I published the same report to a group workspace, it stops working. 

@pbuser checked and it is myworkspace. sorry i didnt check and mention before hand. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors