Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JoyceMachokoto
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security

Hi all, 

I have a report that my enternal organization uses via my Power BI App

I have recently added row level security for external users to view this same report via shared links(in my workspace).

However my enternal users cannot view this report in the App anymore, report says there is row level security applied to this report, 

How do i fix this so my enternal users can continue viewing this report in the App without having to share a link to the report in the workspace?

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JoyceMachokoto ,

as soon as you apply Row Level Security each user has to be assigned to a Role. For this reason it is necessary that you create an additional role and call it "No restrictions" or something similar. For consistency I select the same table and column I used for the other roles. The I use the below DAX statement (even if it does not look like one):

1 = 1

It's most simple statement I can think of that evaluates to true.

As the DAX statement that will be evaluated to determine if access is granted to a specific row has to return true, and the above statement is always true, basically no restrictions will be applied to users that have be assigned to this role.

Be aware that you can also assign Security Groups to RLS roles, this can spare you a lot of effort instead of assigning 100s of internal users to the "No restrictions" role.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors