Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

patlaff
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security not allowing new entries

As of this morning, I'm noticing a new issue in the Power BI Service where, under the Security section of my Dataset Settings where I have RLS enabled and configured, all of my current role assignments are still there, but I cannot add any new ones.  When I type an email into the text box, no suggestions come up, and the "Add" button is never illuminated, even if I enter a full, valid email address.  I am an owner of my workspace, and other owners are seeing the same problem. I have also confirmed I am seeing this same behavior across my company's tenant, as well as my client's tenant. Please advise on how to resolve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pbikaelin
Frequent Visitor

If you are really desperate, this appears to work.

Once you've navigated to the RLS view, append the URL in the browser with 

?unmin=1

This will force rendering of the full JS instead of the minified version.

Using your browser Dev Tools (F12 to open for Chrome/Edge), navigate to the Sources (Chrome) or Debugger (Edge) tab.

Following the script hierarchy, open:

app.powerbi.com / 13.x.x.x / externals / ngTagsInput.js

Find line 259 and set a breakpoint - the line should read:

if ($scope.tags.length >= $scope.options.maxTags)

Go back to your browser and refresh the page which should trigger your breakpoint.

Use the JS Console to run this command:

$scope.tags = []

You can now resume the script execution by pressing the resume (play) button.

You should now be able to manage RLS. You will need to repeat these steps again as you navigate to additional datasets.

Have fun!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
pbikaelin
Frequent Visitor

If you are really desperate, this appears to work.

Once you've navigated to the RLS view, append the URL in the browser with 

?unmin=1

This will force rendering of the full JS instead of the minified version.

Using your browser Dev Tools (F12 to open for Chrome/Edge), navigate to the Sources (Chrome) or Debugger (Edge) tab.

Following the script hierarchy, open:

app.powerbi.com / 13.x.x.x / externals / ngTagsInput.js

Find line 259 and set a breakpoint - the line should read:

if ($scope.tags.length >= $scope.options.maxTags)

Go back to your browser and refresh the page which should trigger your breakpoint.

Use the JS Console to run this command:

$scope.tags = []

You can now resume the script execution by pressing the resume (play) button.

You should now be able to manage RLS. You will need to repeat these steps again as you navigate to additional datasets.

Have fun!

Wow, it is working.
Respect @pbikaelin  !

it worked - thanks so much !

One more thing I was able to do to get it to work that's hopefully a bit simpler, and this is basically the idea from 32Jan's post, so credit there, is click around on your dashboard in the web service (toggle a slicer, for example; just clicking on data doesn't seem to trigger the "Reset to Default" button) so that the "Reset to Default" button becomes available.  Then click the Reset to Default button and then navigate over to the RLS security page and it suddenly allowed me to type in new names and save.  Had to do this a few times though as it decided to stop working after I had saved a few roles.  

Obviously just a workaround for a bug and not a true fix, but it could get you out of a jam

@mestopinal that would be a good idea, but the reset button did no work in my case.

But, c'mon Microsoft has to correct his bug quickly! How to otherwise manage properly long lists of users on different dashboards?

BR, G.

Just checked: the save button will work in my case only for 3 names maximum.

All my users are already in our AAD.

mestopinal

I'm having the same issue.  I discovered a related issue last week as well where I could add the person but the Save button wouldn't work.  With that I was able to work around it and click to a different role and the "Do you want to save" window would pop up allowing me to save.  But now I have nothing.  This needs to be fixed urgently.

pbikaelin
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue. Multiple browsers, multiple users.

Fairly urgent issue since no new users can be configured via RLS.

I've also found that the "Access" tab has been inconsistent in the "publish app" workflow - same username list control?

In this case, not all of the added users are visible in the box, the auto-complete doesn't work reliably and duplicates are added.

I had the same issue.

It was gone after i set the report to default values. (the little arrow counterclockwise)

Hope that helps.

Jan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors