Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security error for admin/author

I've authored and uploaded a dataset to a workspace I am an admin for.

When I try to connect to this Power BI Dataset in desktop (both Nov and Dec versions), it's giving me an error when building visuals:

Error Message:
The query encountered security filters on a table relationship that cannot be reconciled for the current user. Please contact your administrator or developer to review role memberships and security definitions.

I have a DAX expression on a table with user emails from Azure Active Directory: [DomainName] = USERPRINCIPALNAME ()  and I have the Apply Security in Both Directions checkbox ticked.  I'm not in this table.  When the RLS is removed or the Apply Secuirty is unchecked then the error stops but that would allow users to see all the data so isn't an option.

This was working before the November release and the support team I'm talking to at Mindtree don't seem to know what is causing it and suggesting I add myself to the RLS in Power BI Service.  

Could someone confirm if things have changed in these updates and I no longer have unhindered open access as an author or admin for this dataset.  I am unsure how to create RLS under manage roles that will let me see everything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is a bug.  It's not going to be fixed until Mid-March.  There is a workaround that doesn't last long where you have to open the dataset in the powerbi service and then connect to it via the desktop to create your reports.  Last a few hours then stops.  Absolute madness this has been like this since November.  Five months for a fix so I can do my job.  Well done Microsoft. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is a bug.  It's not going to be fixed until Mid-March.  There is a workaround that doesn't last long where you have to open the dataset in the powerbi service and then connect to it via the desktop to create your reports.  Last a few hours then stops.  Absolute madness this has been like this since November.  Five months for a fix so I can do my job.  Well done Microsoft. 

Hi,

I was having the exact same issue.

The formula for configuring RLS in PBI desktop is the following

Rigensis_0-1613421672508.png

And I've also made a 'no RLS' group:

Rigensis_1-1613421901764.png

And had checked the Both ways security checkbox.

Also, when connecting to the published dataset from desktop, still was not able to see any data.

What fixed the problem for me was

- Deleting the dataset from the workspace

- Unchecking, and checking back in the both way security option

- Publishing the dataset back to the workspace

If I did it by overwriting an already existing dataset, then it did not solve anything.

Maybe this could also work for you or anyone else experiencing this bug.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't delete my dataset.  It is the only one we have for all our reports sof we remove it we remove all our reports and we have lots of them.    I thought that was the whole point of this.....you should keep your datasets to a minimum and author all your desktop reports off of one.  It just means writing reports takes way longer than it should and hasecome annoying.  It's a major fail on their part and they aren't even mentioning it in the current support issues.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you please show us the formula you used in configuring RLS in Power BI desktop? As far as I know, if you are the admin of the workspace, the rls will not work for the admin user. Rls will only work for users with view permission only.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't think the Version upadates have some to do with the RLS, maybe resetting the RLS could solve the issue.

Add your user name to the Table and then give yourself permission as an Admin of the report.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wN33rTaiB4

Let me know if you needed more help

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

So steps taken:

Removed RLS

Added myself to RLS table

Re-added RLS with DAX  as above

Uploaded dataset to workspace where I'm an admin

Result:

MunroA7_0-1610189918958.png

It's also blank when I uncheck Apply Security both directions.  Conclusion: Adding my email to the RLS table and giving myself admin rights in the workspace doesn't allow me to see the data at all.   

So, being this RLS set up worked up until November, something must have been changed.  I've not made any changes to the dataset security/RLS-wise.  I will have to revert to a previous version to see if I can author that way successfully.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't think previous version will solve it.

Before Publish the report did you test the RLS in your desktop?

Try to create a new page from scratch (don't copy/paste) and test your RLS.

Let me know please

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

So reverting to September version still creates the issue.  I think it means basically, I can't apply the security in both directions.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors