Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security and members without roles

I'm getting up to speed with Power BI and having discussions with the business i work for its clear that there will be a need at some point to publish reports on places like SharePoint and want to use Row Level Security to mitigate risk.  So in a scenario where i can't know ahead of time all of the users accessing the report, what will users see if they are not a member of PowerBI security role?  (I understand that Pro licenses are required for this scenario, which isn't a problem).

I've tried searching for answer and couldn't find this particular question asked.  I'm hoping the answer is that they will see zero data, but my concern is that Power BI might return all data instead.  Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

If you have got RLS applied and have some people in certain roles, when other people access the report who are not in any roles they should not see any data.

I have tested this in the past and it was working in that manner the last time I tested. I also did the same test on SSAS Tabular, which is very similar and got the same results.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

If you have got RLS applied and have some people in certain roles, when other people access the report who are not in any roles they should not see any data.

I have tested this in the past and it was working in that manner the last time I tested. I also did the same test on SSAS Tabular, which is very similar and got the same results.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors