Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xxcorpxx
Advocate I
Advocate I

Row Level Security and Top N don't play nice together

When a user with specific row level security consumes a report with Top N, it doesn't show HIS/HER specific Top N.  This person might not have access to those Top N's and the report will be blank or only show a few items.  

So, if you look at a top 20 report at a limited roll, you may only see 5 items instead of your specific top 20.  It's worse when you slice by month - "Items" drop off because they may not be top N.  NOT good, basically negates using Top N for anyone with RLS at least from SSAS Tabular. Not sure if it effects everyone.

Also, Top N needs to work at multiple levels in a table or chart.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I might have to take this back- I realized that i had a another filter set to show only items above 0.

It gets really tricky when you have stuff filtered.  Hard to see what is in the list at a quick glance.

I think you should highlight filtered items in yellow so there is no questions at a quick glance.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@xxcorpxx,

Could you please share sample data of your  table and post expected result here?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I might have to take this back- I realized that i had a another filter set to show only items above 0.

It gets really tricky when you have stuff filtered.  Hard to see what is in the list at a quick glance.

I think you should highlight filtered items in yellow so there is no questions at a quick glance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors