Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpodBerlin
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security: User with no group membership gets error Couldn't load the data for this visual

Hello,

a problem occured and after creating a test case to verify this error, I need to post this one.

There is a simple dataset model. Just one table with row level security on one field:

[MEAS_POINT] = "Berlin"

A report is uploaded manually into BI service in a workspace, created for this test. Using RLS for this dataset, I assign this group to this security group. Opening the report, the user just sees data for Berlin. As expected.

Now I remove this User from this group. Now the user should see all data from this table. No filter is expected.

However the user gets this:

rls error no data.JPG

Obviosuly, not being a member of a RLS group and not being the report owner does not work. Is there a group like "see all" to be created? I didn't find anything in the documentation. I've tried this one

[MEAS_POINT] <> "anything"

and this works. But is this a approbiate solution?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jpodBerlin,

You said “Now I remove this User from this group. Now the user should see all data from this table. No filter is expected.”,  actually its not right.

When you have set RLS to your report, if users are not a member of any RLS role, the user can’t see report data you have shared with them.

As you have set RLS role for the dataset, to grant shared user can see all report data, you need to create another RLS role which doesn’t have any filter DAX specified or apply DAX formula [Column Name] <> "anything" as you mentioned, then in power bi service, assign the shared user to be a member of this role.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jpodBerlin,

You said “Now I remove this User from this group. Now the user should see all data from this table. No filter is expected.”,  actually its not right.

When you have set RLS to your report, if users are not a member of any RLS role, the user can’t see report data you have shared with them.

As you have set RLS role for the dataset, to grant shared user can see all report data, you need to create another RLS role which doesn’t have any filter DAX specified or apply DAX formula [Column Name] <> "anything" as you mentioned, then in power bi service, assign the shared user to be a member of this role.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors