Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArunTiruveedula
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security - Test as Role showing no data

I have created a RLS using "username()". Data is filtered correctly when I use "View as Roles" in Power BI desktop. But when I publish to Service and check using "Test as Role" in service, Repor does not show any data.

Also users are not able to see data even when I don't add anyone to security filter.

Thanks in advance for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The "View as Roles" will only work when the Roles have hard coded values.

Also if you do not add in a user into the Security Settings for your dataset, that then means that they will not be configured for RLS.
And users who are not configured for RLS will not be able to view any data.
So this is consistent with your experience.

What I would suggest is to add a user whom can see data into the Security under the Datasets, then Share the Report or Dashboard or App with them. And then see if they can see their data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ArunTiruveedula,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, could you share the creenshots for your RLS set under Security in Power BI Service?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The "View as Roles" will only work when the Roles have hard coded values.

Also if you do not add in a user into the Security Settings for your dataset, that then means that they will not be configured for RLS.
And users who are not configured for RLS will not be able to view any data.
So this is consistent with your experience.

What I would suggest is to add a user whom can see data into the Security under the Datasets, then Share the Report or Dashboard or App with them. And then see if they can see their data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors