Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

megane123
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security - Report That Uses Dataset

Hi All,

I was hoping I could get some clarification around an issue I've been having trying to test Row Level Security.

Up until now, any of my reports that have used Row Level Security have pulled in data using SQL server queries. The Roles have been made within the report itself, and I have published these to the Power BI Service & been able to test the roles here wthout any issues.

For my most recent report, I have created a dataflow, and then a dataset off this dataflow. The Row Level Security roles are now created in the dataset itself, and I am then building a report off this dataset. 

When I publish the dataset to the Power BI Service, I can test the Row Level Security here as normal. However, when I publish the report that points to the dataset to the Power BI Service, there is no option here to test the Row Level Security on the report itself. I need this in order to verify the visuals/data being displayed in the report will in fact only display to the right people etc., but currently cannot see a way to do this.

Is there a way around this so that I can test RLS on the report in the Power BI Service (i.e. the end product which will 'go live'), instead of just on the dataset?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think you can at all. The testing of the RLS is done in the dataset only. The reports connected are going to be filtered by RLS, yes. If you want to try on the exact development you can copy all the visualizations in your report page and paste it in the dataset file to try it. 

Please remember that RLS is only applied to users without building permission (only viewers). Make sure you are not giving building access for those you want RLS to be applied.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think you can at all. The testing of the RLS is done in the dataset only. The reports connected are going to be filtered by RLS, yes. If you want to try on the exact development you can copy all the visualizations in your report page and paste it in the dataset file to try it. 

Please remember that RLS is only applied to users without building permission (only viewers). Make sure you are not giving building access for those you want RLS to be applied.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi ibarrau,

That makes sense, thanks so much for answering & for the testing suggestion - I will try this one out! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something completely 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors