Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ani_informa
Helper III
Helper III

'Role' is not a valid Amazon Redshift option.

Hi 

I have created a Power BI report using Redshift Amazon db connector and I am pulling up data from a view. Everything is working fine on desktop version but when I published report to Service and trying to refresh on service, refresh is failing with following error. It is weird because other report using same gateway and datasource is refreshing fine. I don't have any "Role" named field in my view or table. Is there anyone encountered identical issue before.

ani_informa_0-1628155193038.png

8 REPLIES 8
GB31

Has anyone been able to figure out what is this 'Role' option for. I was hoping we could use this to specify role to assume in AWS/Redshift. There appears to be no documentation anywhere on this.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ani_informa , @bchager6 , @Anonymous 

It seems to be a reported issue: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unable-to-create-dataflow-using-Amazon-Redshift/idi-p/1923317 please stay tuned.

And as@CobusEllis suggested, please try

Eyelyn9_0-1630637856547.png

which is mentioned in IcM:250242300

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

CobusEllis
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I just got the same error. 
I removed the Role and Batchsize options from the end of the connection string and the connection is now working:
(Select the 1st step in your query and edit in the formula bar, or edit it in Advanced Editor)

CobusEllis_1-1630584520231.png

I suspect something is not functioning correctly in the certified Redshift connector.

Kind Regards,
Cobus

Removing Role did the trick for me too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bchager6 I have the exact same problem, did you ever find a solution to this refresh issue RedShift <--> PBI Service ?

bchager6
Super User
Super User

Has anyone been successful in resolving this error? I am receiving the same. The table Power BI identifies as the culprit can vary with different refreshes.

Data source error{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"'Role' is not a valid Amazon Redshift option. Valid options are: 'BatchSize'"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Expression.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table:...

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ani_informa ,

I doubt the "Role" is a setting for user permissions.

It could be a permission issue in Amazon Redshift based on your error message in your original post. You may need to check forums that specialize in RedShift.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-eqin-msftDo you have links to any Redshift/Power BI support forums? I wasn't able to find any aside from where a paid subscription is required, and I don't even know if this topic exists within those forums. Also, I checked to see if any Roles were populated in my Redshift connections and there aren't any.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors