Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Risks of renaming a workspace

I have a workspace that I'd like to rename.  I know how to go to the workspace settings and change the  name but don't know what kind of impact this has on the end users.  My user base is over 2,000 people and I don't want to make their day difficult just to rebrand the workspace.  (For the curious: my use case is to have the name of the workspace match the name of the email account we want users to contact if they need help.)

Here's what I'm looking for help confirming/understanding...

1. In Shared with me, it makes sense that they'll need to look for the new name.
  2. Will their favorites, shortucts, home screen links (frequents and favorites) work seamlessly?
  3. Does the change flow seamlessly to Power BI desktop, where we publish reports?
  4. We have an enterprise gateway - will that be impacted?
  5. What other risks do I need to consider?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous You should be fine, each workspace gets a unique id and that is what is in the URL. The name is not actually part of the url so bookmarks and such should be fine.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous You should be fine, each workspace gets a unique id and that is what is in the URL. The name is not actually part of the url so bookmarks and such should be fine.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I know, it's an old thread, but I'd like to point out that there IS a risk of renaming a workspace. If you use a semantic model in another pbix, renaming the workspace will break the second report. To solve it, one has to reconnect the pbix to the model in the renamed workspace  - although, it's essentially the same file, and according to your logic it should use the same id, but it doesn't.

@andreiak have you confirmed that this is actually true?  

It doesn't appear to be the case, from my testing.

Hi @ebeery 

Yes, still not working for me. The report below uses it's own data model and another external one located in the sames WS. As soon as WS's renamed, all similar reports look like on the screenshot.

andreiak_0-1712925792574.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @Greg_Deckler!  Also, congrats on that 5,000 kudos badge!  😲

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors