cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicolasZeenea

Retrieving dataset structure and report source tables from the Rest API

Hello,

I am in the process of developing an application that lists the reports of a group, the associated datasets as well as the tables of these datasets that are used to generate the reports. The goal is to have an overview in a tool parallel to PowerBI. I go through the Rest API by authenticating my application through the Client Credentials method. I am able to retrieve the list of reports and the associated dataset id and name, but I can't find any way to retrieve more information. Is there a way around this limitation? Is there an alternative to the Rest API that allows me to retrieve more information? Or maybe the data I can retrieve from the API depends on my subscription?

Thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @nicolasZeenea 

You are in luck in that there is a new Scanner API that has been released where you can get all this information, here are the details: Announcing Scanner API (Admin REST APIs) enhancements to include dataset tables, columns, measures, ...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @nicolasZeenea 

You are in luck in that there is a new Scanner API that has been released where you can get all this information, here are the details: Announcing Scanner API (Admin REST APIs) enhancements to include dataset tables, columns, measures, ...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Is it possible to use the new Scanner API endpoints without being a full Global or Power BI admin? 

I work in a large organization and manage around 25 workspaces with a lot of dataflows and datasets/reports, but I'm not a Power BI Admin in the tenant.  I'm using the other API endpoints in our environment successfully, so I would like to know if it's even possible for me to use the new Scanner APIs before putting in the request. 

Thanks. 

Wow what a great coincidence ! I will explore this way, thank you !

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Kudoed Authors